Mile-Wide Asteroid Photographed By NASA As It Passes Close By Earth
By Eric Brown | November 8, 2012 3:21 PM EST
Scientists at NASA captured stunning images of a mile-wide asteroid as it approached Earth over three days in late October and early November.
NASA describes asteroid 2007 PA8 as “an elongated, irregularly shaped object approximately one mile wide, with ridges and perhaps craters.” Scientists at NASA also noted that the large, oddly shaped asteroid rotates “very slowly, roughly once every three to four days.”
NASA captured the images using a 70m antenna in Goldstone, Calif., according to The Register. The antenna, along with two others in Spain and Australia, make up NASA’s Deep Space Network, which is partially responsible for watching for asteroids that could threaten to strike Earth.
At at its closest, the asteroid was about 5.5 million miles away. For comparison, the moon is just under 240,000 miles away from the Earth, putting the mile-wide asteroid about 17 times further away than the moon. Of course, that sounds like an astronomical distance, and it certainly is compared to anything near our planet, but it’s nothing on a cosmic scale.
To put it in perspective, Mars and Venus can both, depending on where they are in their orbits, be the closest planet to earth. The closest Mars has ever come to Earth is about 36 million miles, while Venus occasionally comes as close as 23.6 million miles.
The distance from Earth to this mile-wide asteroid is fairly close in terms of the solar system. And many asteroids pass much, much closer to Earth than 2007 PA8.
But no one has to worry about 2007 PA8 getting too close for comfort. According to NASA, this was the closest the mile-wide asteroid will be to Earth for another 200 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices