Sony says online network chief quits
November 8, 2012 2:35 PM EST
Sony Corp's network strategy chief, Tim Schaaff, will quit next month after leading the Japanese company's efforts to build a unified online content delivery platform to compete with Apple Inc for the past seven years.
Schaaff, 52, would retire as of December 31, Sony said in a release. Andrew House, the head of its gaming division would assume responsibilities for its online network unit as a transitional step.
Sony said Schaaff would remain as an external director at the Sony unit, but did not elaborate on his future plans.
Former Sony CEO, Howard Stringer, headhunted Schaaff from Apple in 2005 to build the company's online presence. As a member of Steve Jobs' inner circle of developers, Schaaff oversaw the creation of its QuickTime video streaming software.
Sony under Stringer and his successor, current CEO Kazuo Hirai, has pursued a strategy to link its game consoles and other devices online to an extensive library of software, movie and music content as demand for its televisions shrinks.
Schaaff launched new online services, including Music Unlimited in 2010, overseeing an expansion in subscribers to the company's networks to 110 million.
(Reporting by Tim Kelly; Editing by Richard Pullin)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell