Three Melbourne Kids Aged 12 to 16 Die in High-Speed Crash
By Arlene Paredes | November 8, 2012 2:04 PM EST
Three children from 12 to 16 years old died in a fatal high-speed crash involving a stolen car carrying six passengers in Coolaroo just after midnight Thursday. One of the passengers is still fighting for life in a hospital.
One of the fatalities was the car's unlicensed driver, a 16-year-old girl from Sunbury. The two others who died at the scene were a 12-year-old boy from Preston and a 14-year-old girl from Pascoe Vale.
The car, a Toyota Camry, lost control due to high speed. It slammed into a concrete wall on Pascoe Vale Rd near Barry Rd in Coolaroo.
A 15-year-old boy from Dallas suffered life-threatening abdominal injuries. He was still at the Royal Children's Hospital by the time The Australian reported the incident.
A 16-year-old boy from Broadmeadows sustained head and leg injuries. The sixth passenger, a 14-year-old Lalor boy, is in a stable condition.
Speaking to The Australian, the police described what happened:
"As [the car] approached the entrance of the Coolaroo railway station on a slight right-hand bend it appears there that the driver has started to lose control of that vehicle... About 100m further it's collided with a fairly substantial brick wall."
"[Considering] the distance travelled [and] the condition of the vehicle, we would certainly say that speed was a certainly a factor in this collision."
Major Collision Investigation Unit Detective Sergeant Mark Amos told The Australian the car was travelling faster than the 80km/h speed limit. DUI had not been ruled out as a factor that led to the fatal crash.
Young friends of the victim mourned the tragedy at the crash site Thursday morning.
A neighbour who saw the car immediately after the crash said the sight was "devastating."
Sevda Ucar and her husband heard the alarming sound of the crash. They went out to check what happened and saw the wreckage. The car was crushed.
"I called the police and went out there and one boy was standing there ... He was in shock," she said.
Witnesses to the crash and those who may have helpful information are asked to help the investigators. Contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports