Three Melbourne Kids Aged 12 to 16 Die in High-Speed Crash
By Arlene Paredes | November 8, 2012 2:04 PM EST
Three children from 12 to 16 years old died in a fatal high-speed crash involving a stolen car carrying six passengers in Coolaroo just after midnight Thursday. One of the passengers is still fighting for life in a hospital.
One of the fatalities was the car's unlicensed driver, a 16-year-old girl from Sunbury. The two others who died at the scene were a 12-year-old boy from Preston and a 14-year-old girl from Pascoe Vale.
The car, a Toyota Camry, lost control due to high speed. It slammed into a concrete wall on Pascoe Vale Rd near Barry Rd in Coolaroo.
A 15-year-old boy from Dallas suffered life-threatening abdominal injuries. He was still at the Royal Children's Hospital by the time The Australian reported the incident.
A 16-year-old boy from Broadmeadows sustained head and leg injuries. The sixth passenger, a 14-year-old Lalor boy, is in a stable condition.
Speaking to The Australian, the police described what happened:
"As [the car] approached the entrance of the Coolaroo railway station on a slight right-hand bend it appears there that the driver has started to lose control of that vehicle... About 100m further it's collided with a fairly substantial brick wall."
"[Considering] the distance travelled [and] the condition of the vehicle, we would certainly say that speed was a certainly a factor in this collision."
Major Collision Investigation Unit Detective Sergeant Mark Amos told The Australian the car was travelling faster than the 80km/h speed limit. DUI had not been ruled out as a factor that led to the fatal crash.
Young friends of the victim mourned the tragedy at the crash site Thursday morning.
A neighbour who saw the car immediately after the crash said the sight was "devastating."
Sevda Ucar and her husband heard the alarming sound of the crash. They went out to check what happened and saw the wreckage. The car was crushed.
"I called the police and went out there and one boy was standing there ... He was in shock," she said.
Witnesses to the crash and those who may have helpful information are asked to help the investigators. Contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- Pope Francis Not Closing Doors For Talks With ISIS Despite Death Threat
- Why Michael Brown's Killer, Darren Wilson, Lurks In Shadows, 'Fears For His Life' And Hints That He Will Leave Police Force
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More