Qantas Again Reduces Total Workforce By Over 500
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 8, 2012 2:02 PM EST
More than 500 personnel from the engineering department of Qantas Airways have been sacked as part of the company's restructuring operations.
Qantas, which made the announcement on Thursday, said the jobs involved 200 line maintenance jobs cut at its jet base at Sydney Airport, 250 contractors at Avalon Airport near Geelong in Victoria and 50 other jobs, including Richmond.
The ongoing job reductions, which started in May 2012, form part of the airline carrier's strategy of combining its heavy maintenance bases from two to one.
Lyell Strambi, Qantas Domestic chief executive, defended the job slashes, saying the airline's fleet of more modern aircraft had lessened the need for a large amount of maintenance people.
"Aviation is an extraordinarily competitive industry and we have the added pressures of the high Australian dollar and high costs relative to the rest of the world," he said in a statement.
"Our cost base in heavy maintenance is more than 30 per cent higher than our competitors, who do the vast majority of their maintenance overseas.
"We must close this gap to secure Qantas' future viability and this restructure will assist in making Qantas maintenance facilities in Australia more competitive."
The airline company, however, said 100 jobs will be added at its heavy maintenance base at Brisbane Airport.
Overall, Qantas reduced a total of 1,260 jobs from its engineering operations alone this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks