Anti-Muslim Filmmaker Mark Basseley Youssef Sentenced To Year In Jail
By Charles Poladian | November 8, 2012 1:43 PM EST
Mark Basseley Youssef, the infamous anti-Muslim filmmaker, was sentenced to a year in jail Wednesday for violating his probation. Youssef pleaded guilty to four violations and will serve the term in a federal prison.
Mark Basseley Youssef, an Egyptian Coptic Christian and California resident, was under federal probation for an earlier conviction, reports the Los Angeles Times. He was convicted of bank and credit card fraud in 2010, which included opening more than 60 different bank accounts, reports The Associated Press.
Youssef gained infamy as the filmmaker of “Innocence of Muslims,” an anti-Muslim film whose trailer on YouTube sparked global outrage. As part of the making of the film, Youssef used an alias, Sam Bacile, to shift blame and to distance himself from his role in the making of the film.
After the film caused mass riots and death threats were issued, Youssef went into hiding. He was later arrested on Sept. 27.
In 2010, Youssef was sentenced to 21-months in jail and was released early, reports Danger Room. As a condition of his early release, Youssef, formerly known as Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, had to serve four years of federal probation was not allowed to use a computer for five years, reports AP.
Youssef violated several terms of his probation, including using a fake name, obtaining a driver's license with a false name and lying to his probation officer, reports AP.
Youssef requested to serve the sentence at home but the court denied his request, citing his history of using false names and fraud. Youssef will also have four years of supervised release following his sentence, reports AP.
After the sentence, Youssef's attorney, Steve Seiden, said his client had a message. According to Seiden, Youssef said "The one thing he wanted me to tell all of you is President Obama may have gotten Osama bin Laden, but he didn't kill the ideology."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone