Tom Hanks' Insurance Broker Charged With Mail Fraud, Overcharging Clients Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars
November 8, 2012 12:49 PM EST
A Thousand Oaks, Calif., insurance broker was charged with swindling hundreds of thousands of dollars from his clients, including Tom Hanks. Jerry B. Goldman faces 10 counts of mail fraud from a federal grand jury.
Goldman overcharged four clients, including Tom Hanks and musician Andy Summers, formerly of The Police, on insurance policies for 13 years, reports Los Angeles Times. Goldman allegedly overcharged Hanks and his other clients by more than $800,000.
Goldman was arrested at his Thousand Oaks home on Wednesday, reports Reuters.
According to the indictment, Goldman would overcharge the clients on insurance policies, pay the premium to the insurance company and pocket the difference. He allegedly doctored policy forms and records in order to hide the true cost of the insurance polices and to divert suspicion, notes Reuters. Hanks and Summers were identified by prosecutors working on the case, but two other clients, with the initials M.W.H. And S.R., were not identified.
In the indictment, it was reported that Goldman, through the Newbury Park insurance agency he owned, would overcharge clients by up to 600 percent, reports Los Angeles Times. Goldman is expected to be arraigned at a United States District Court in Los Angeles.
Because Goldman conducted his fraud through the mail, including receiving checks for the bogus insurance policies, it became a federal crime. Goldman is facing 10 counts of mail fraud which could spell decades in prison. Each count of mail fraud carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in jail, reports the Los Angeles Times.
The indictment does not list the losses of Hanks, Summers or the two other clients, but the insurance policies covered everything from flood, fire, art, cars, property, earthquakes and worker's compensation, reports Reuters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate