Lady Gaga Donates $1 Million For Hurricane Sandy Relief
By Eric Brown | November 8, 2012 12:41 PM EST
After Superstorm Sandy devastated much of the New York City region, thousands of people turned out to aid those affected by the storm by volunteering their time, effort and money. Now, one very famous New Yorker has joined their ranks: Lady Gaga.
Lady Gaga, whose real name is Stefani Germanotta, announced on her blog Little Monsters that she would be donating $1 million to the Red Cross’s Hurricane Sandy relief efforts in New York City.
The 26-year-old songwriter and pop star grew up in the city and says the five boroughs shaped her artistic worldview from a young age. Gaga in particular credits Manhattan’s Lower East Side, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn with making her the artist she is today.
Gaga was vacationing in Puerto Rico when the storm hit New York City, but the pop star hopes to help her hometown out with $1 million for the Red Cross.
Little Monsters requires a site account to read Gaga’s blog post, but you can read her letter promising the $1 million in aid to New York City below, courtesy of AZ Central.
"Today I pledge 1 million dollars to New York & The American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief. If it wasn't for NYC: the Lower Eastside, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn, I would not be the woman or artist that I am today.
“New York is relentless ambition, a drive to succeed, a place where there is a natural pursuit of diversity through compassion. Please accept this gift on behalf of myself, my parents Joe and Cynthia, and my sister Natali; with our deepest gratitude New York for raising us. Thank you for helping me build my spirit. I will now help you rebuild yours.
“Sincerely, Lady Gaga and The Germanottas"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone