Lady Gaga Donates $1 Million For Hurricane Sandy Relief
By Eric Brown | November 8, 2012 12:41 PM EST
After Superstorm Sandy devastated much of the New York City region, thousands of people turned out to aid those affected by the storm by volunteering their time, effort and money. Now, one very famous New Yorker has joined their ranks: Lady Gaga.
Lady Gaga, whose real name is Stefani Germanotta, announced on her blog Little Monsters that she would be donating $1 million to the Red Cross’s Hurricane Sandy relief efforts in New York City.
The 26-year-old songwriter and pop star grew up in the city and says the five boroughs shaped her artistic worldview from a young age. Gaga in particular credits Manhattan’s Lower East Side, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn with making her the artist she is today.
Gaga was vacationing in Puerto Rico when the storm hit New York City, but the pop star hopes to help her hometown out with $1 million for the Red Cross.
Little Monsters requires a site account to read Gaga’s blog post, but you can read her letter promising the $1 million in aid to New York City below, courtesy of AZ Central.
"Today I pledge 1 million dollars to New York & The American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief. If it wasn't for NYC: the Lower Eastside, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn, I would not be the woman or artist that I am today.
“New York is relentless ambition, a drive to succeed, a place where there is a natural pursuit of diversity through compassion. Please accept this gift on behalf of myself, my parents Joe and Cynthia, and my sister Natali; with our deepest gratitude New York for raising us. Thank you for helping me build my spirit. I will now help you rebuild yours.
“Sincerely, Lady Gaga and The Germanottas"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air