Lady Gaga Donates $1 Million For Hurricane Sandy Relief
By Eric Brown | November 8, 2012 12:41 PM EST
After Superstorm Sandy devastated much of the New York City region, thousands of people turned out to aid those affected by the storm by volunteering their time, effort and money. Now, one very famous New Yorker has joined their ranks: Lady Gaga.
Lady Gaga, whose real name is Stefani Germanotta, announced on her blog Little Monsters that she would be donating $1 million to the Red Cross’s Hurricane Sandy relief efforts in New York City.
The 26-year-old songwriter and pop star grew up in the city and says the five boroughs shaped her artistic worldview from a young age. Gaga in particular credits Manhattan’s Lower East Side, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn with making her the artist she is today.
Gaga was vacationing in Puerto Rico when the storm hit New York City, but the pop star hopes to help her hometown out with $1 million for the Red Cross.
Little Monsters requires a site account to read Gaga’s blog post, but you can read her letter promising the $1 million in aid to New York City below, courtesy of AZ Central.
"Today I pledge 1 million dollars to New York & The American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief. If it wasn't for NYC: the Lower Eastside, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn, I would not be the woman or artist that I am today.
“New York is relentless ambition, a drive to succeed, a place where there is a natural pursuit of diversity through compassion. Please accept this gift on behalf of myself, my parents Joe and Cynthia, and my sister Natali; with our deepest gratitude New York for raising us. Thank you for helping me build my spirit. I will now help you rebuild yours.
“Sincerely, Lady Gaga and The Germanottas"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS