Gaspard Ulliel To Portray Legendary Designer Yves Saint Laurent In Film
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 8, 2012 11:41 AM EST
Rising French actor and model Gaspard Ulliel is set to play the late Yves Saint Laurent in a feature film about the legendary designer. According to Women's Wear Daily, "Saint Laurent" will begin production in the spring of 2013. Bertrand Bonello, who directed "House of Tolerance," will direct.
Though Ulliel appeared in the 2007 film "Hannibal Rising," U.S. audiences are largely unfamiliar with his work. But some may recognize the 27-year-old from the Longchamp ads he recently appeared in opposite Kate Moss.
Saint Laurent was born in French Algeria in 1936 and was bullied as a boy because his peers believed (correctly) he was homosexual. According to Biography.com, fashion design was his escape. After moving to Paris as a teen, the young designer quickly gained recognition in the fashion industry. At just 21 years old, he became the chief designer at Christian Dior.
After opening his own fashion house in the 1960s, Saint Laurent became an icon and noted visionary. Despite suffering from depression and battling cocaine and alcohol addiction, he remained an influencial cultural figure until his death from brain cancer in 2008 at the age of 71.
As the New York Times notes, "Saint Laurent achieved his greatest triumphs in the midst of a notoriously turbulent emotional life, giving him mythical stature in his own time."
Following his death, the Telegraph referred to him as "the greatest figure in French fashion in the 20th century, and could be said to have created the modern woman's wardrobe."
TIME has said that Saint Laurent "was known for designing clothes that reflected women's changing role in society: more confident personally, sexually, and in the workplace." He is credited with popularizing such trends as the safari jacket and developing the women's tuxedo suit.
There have been three documentaries made about his life, "L'Amour Fou" (2009), "Yves Saint Laurent: His Life and Times" (2002), and “Yves Saint Laurent: 5 Avenue Marceau 75116 Paris" (2002). The films focus on the couturier's personal troubles and career triumphs while exploring his remarkable contributions to the fashion world.
In June, the Yves Saint Laurent brand was renamed Saint Laurent Paris. It is currently run by designer Hedi Slimane.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports