McDonald's Upside-Down Flag Causes Post-Election Controversey
By Eric Brown | November 8, 2012 11:35 AM EST
A McDonald’s franchise in Follansbee, W.Va., caused a stir Wednesday for flying an American flag upside down and at half mast the day following President Barack Obama’s victory.
Many people in the area and online initially believed the McDonald’s had reversed the flag as a protest against Obama’s victory. Mitt Romney crushed Obama by 62 to 35 percent in West Virginia Tuesday, carrying every county.
But managers at the McDonalds swear the upside-down flag was a complete accident. Apparently, the flagpole broke while they were raising the flag in the morning, causing it to fall upside-down.
"I just want to say: I am a manager at that McDonald's,” a caller told NEWS9 TV, according to Examiner. “The flag was to be flown at half-staff as per McDonald’s Corporation. As for it being flown upside down--it was a complete and total accident. NO ONE at our store would PURPOSELY fly the flag upside down. Our flagpole is actually broken, and we are unable to move the flag."
Later, the owner of the McDonald’s sent an email to the same station in an attempt to clarify the upside-down flag incident.
"Unfortunately, a flag cable broke and during the process of trying the fix the flag, it was inadvertently turned upside down. It wasn't noticed that the flag was upside down until a customer inquired about it. We are working on fixing the flag right now. It's important to note that this was an accident, not intentional."
After the incident made national news, NEWS9 returned to the location and found that McDonald’s had indeed restored the flag to its proper position.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon