McDonald's Upside-Down Flag Causes Post-Election Controversey
By Eric Brown | November 8, 2012 11:35 AM EST
A McDonald’s franchise in Follansbee, W.Va., caused a stir Wednesday for flying an American flag upside down and at half mast the day following President Barack Obama’s victory.
Many people in the area and online initially believed the McDonald’s had reversed the flag as a protest against Obama’s victory. Mitt Romney crushed Obama by 62 to 35 percent in West Virginia Tuesday, carrying every county.
But managers at the McDonalds swear the upside-down flag was a complete accident. Apparently, the flagpole broke while they were raising the flag in the morning, causing it to fall upside-down.
"I just want to say: I am a manager at that McDonald's,” a caller told NEWS9 TV, according to Examiner. “The flag was to be flown at half-staff as per McDonald’s Corporation. As for it being flown upside down--it was a complete and total accident. NO ONE at our store would PURPOSELY fly the flag upside down. Our flagpole is actually broken, and we are unable to move the flag."
Later, the owner of the McDonald’s sent an email to the same station in an attempt to clarify the upside-down flag incident.
"Unfortunately, a flag cable broke and during the process of trying the fix the flag, it was inadvertently turned upside down. It wasn't noticed that the flag was upside down until a customer inquired about it. We are working on fixing the flag right now. It's important to note that this was an accident, not intentional."
After the incident made national news, NEWS9 returned to the location and found that McDonald’s had indeed restored the flag to its proper position.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?