UK permanent jobs grow at fastest pace since May 2011 - survey
By Li-mei Hoang | November 8, 2012 11:21 AM EST
Permanent job placements in Britain rose for the first time since May, growing at their fastest pace in 17 months in October driven by employer confidence, a survey showed on Thursday.
The data also showed growth of temporary jobs reaching an 18-month high, with the sharpest rise in vacancies since June 2011, boosting recovery hopes after the economy came out of recession with 1 percent growth in the third quarter.
The index measuring permanent job appointments hit its highest level since May 2011 at 55.0, the survey by the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) and consultancy KPMG showed.
Values above 50 show an increase compared to a month earlier.
Britain's labour market has proven surprisingly resilient over the past 12 months as firms kept creating jobs despite the weak economy. Unemployment has inched down and employment hit an all-time high in August.
In another sign that the improvement could continue, the index for temporary and contract staff billings rose to 54.5 to hit an 18-month high, the REC said.
"The sharpest rise in job vacancies in over a year shows employers are confident about their own businesses and, as they deal with increasing demand, are driving the momentum for more people finding work," said REC chief executive Kevin Green.
However, the economic recovery remains fraught with risks. British industrial output fell more sharply than expected in September and Purchasing Manager Indexes have been poor.
"It may not be leaps and bounds yet, in terms of progress, but these are the largest strides for some time and should not go un-noticed," KPMG head of business services Bernard Brown said about the improvement in the job market survey.
(Editing by Stephen Nisbet)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones