Dow, S&P 500 close at lowest levels since early August
November 8, 2012 8:28 AM EST
Stocks fell sharply on Wednesday, with the Dow losing more than 300 points and all major indexes dropping more than 2 percent in the wake of the presidential election as the looming congressional debate over avoiding the fiscal cliff and Europe's economic troubles returned to the forefront.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> lost 312.95 points, or 2.36 percent, to close unofficially at 12,932.73. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> fell 33.86 points, or 2.37 percent, to finish unofficially at 1,394.53. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was down 74.64 points, or 2.48 percent, to close unofficially at 2,937.29.
The S&P 500 posted its biggest daily drop since June 21, with all 10 S&P sectors solidly lower and more than 80 percent of stocks on both the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq ending in negative territory.
(Reporting by Angela Moon; Editing by Jan Paschal)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features