Minnesota Vikings News: Will Percy Harvin Sit Against the Detroit Lions?
November 8, 2012 7:39 AM EST
With an ankle sprained in three different places, Minnesota Vikings stud wide receiver and kick return Percy Harvin could miss Sunday’s NFC North showdown for the Detroit Lions.
Harvin missed practice Wednesday, and said he was a “long shot” to play against Detroit. He was even refined to crutches on Monday.
Michael Jenkins is second on the team in receiving yards and tied for second in receptions, and will probably be asked to carry more of a load Sunday. Now in his second season with Minnesota since joining after seven years with Atlanta, Jenkins has 26 receptions for 295 yards and one touchdown this season.
Even with Harvin, Minnesota is third to last in receiving yards per game, and don’t have much depth at receiver.
Their No. 2 receiver on the depth chart is Jerome Simpson, who has eight catches for 109 yards in five games, but missed Week 6 with a back injury and head coach Leslie Frazier said he is not 100 percent recovered.
Simpson, however, had his best game of the season in Minnesota's Week 4 20-13 win over Detroit, with four receptions for 50 yards. He’ll have to repeat that performance against a Detroit secondary ranked eighth in the league, allowing 214.2 yards per game.
While not officially ruled out, should Harvin sit, cornerback and punt returner Marcus Sherels could have double return duties, or the Vikings could move A.J. Jefferson in as kick returner.
Sherels and Harvin were special team stars against Detroit. Harvin returned the opening kick-off 105 yards for a touchdown, and Sherels brought a punt back 77 yards for a score.
The injury puts a damper on Harvin’s phenomenal this season. In nine games, he’s totaled 62 receptions for 677 yards with three touchdowns, putting him on pace for a career season.
The former Florida standout also has 16 returns for 574 yards and a touchdown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’