Minnesota Vikings News: Will Percy Harvin Sit Against the Detroit Lions?
November 8, 2012 7:39 AM EST
With an ankle sprained in three different places, Minnesota Vikings stud wide receiver and kick return Percy Harvin could miss Sunday’s NFC North showdown for the Detroit Lions.
Harvin missed practice Wednesday, and said he was a “long shot” to play against Detroit. He was even refined to crutches on Monday.
Michael Jenkins is second on the team in receiving yards and tied for second in receptions, and will probably be asked to carry more of a load Sunday. Now in his second season with Minnesota since joining after seven years with Atlanta, Jenkins has 26 receptions for 295 yards and one touchdown this season.
Even with Harvin, Minnesota is third to last in receiving yards per game, and don’t have much depth at receiver.
Their No. 2 receiver on the depth chart is Jerome Simpson, who has eight catches for 109 yards in five games, but missed Week 6 with a back injury and head coach Leslie Frazier said he is not 100 percent recovered.
Simpson, however, had his best game of the season in Minnesota's Week 4 20-13 win over Detroit, with four receptions for 50 yards. He’ll have to repeat that performance against a Detroit secondary ranked eighth in the league, allowing 214.2 yards per game.
While not officially ruled out, should Harvin sit, cornerback and punt returner Marcus Sherels could have double return duties, or the Vikings could move A.J. Jefferson in as kick returner.
Sherels and Harvin were special team stars against Detroit. Harvin returned the opening kick-off 105 yards for a touchdown, and Sherels brought a punt back 77 yards for a score.
The injury puts a damper on Harvin’s phenomenal this season. In nine games, he’s totaled 62 receptions for 677 yards with three touchdowns, putting him on pace for a career season.
The former Florida standout also has 16 returns for 574 yards and a touchdown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown