Minnesota Vikings News: Will Percy Harvin Sit Against the Detroit Lions?
November 8, 2012 7:39 AM EST
With an ankle sprained in three different places, Minnesota Vikings stud wide receiver and kick return Percy Harvin could miss Sunday’s NFC North showdown for the Detroit Lions.
Harvin missed practice Wednesday, and said he was a “long shot” to play against Detroit. He was even refined to crutches on Monday.
Michael Jenkins is second on the team in receiving yards and tied for second in receptions, and will probably be asked to carry more of a load Sunday. Now in his second season with Minnesota since joining after seven years with Atlanta, Jenkins has 26 receptions for 295 yards and one touchdown this season.
Even with Harvin, Minnesota is third to last in receiving yards per game, and don’t have much depth at receiver.
Their No. 2 receiver on the depth chart is Jerome Simpson, who has eight catches for 109 yards in five games, but missed Week 6 with a back injury and head coach Leslie Frazier said he is not 100 percent recovered.
Simpson, however, had his best game of the season in Minnesota's Week 4 20-13 win over Detroit, with four receptions for 50 yards. He’ll have to repeat that performance against a Detroit secondary ranked eighth in the league, allowing 214.2 yards per game.
While not officially ruled out, should Harvin sit, cornerback and punt returner Marcus Sherels could have double return duties, or the Vikings could move A.J. Jefferson in as kick returner.
Sherels and Harvin were special team stars against Detroit. Harvin returned the opening kick-off 105 yards for a touchdown, and Sherels brought a punt back 77 yards for a score.
The injury puts a damper on Harvin’s phenomenal this season. In nine games, he’s totaled 62 receptions for 677 yards with three touchdowns, putting him on pace for a career season.
The former Florida standout also has 16 returns for 574 yards and a touchdown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks