Strong quake off Guatemala kills 8, felt in Mexico City
By Mike McDonald | November 8, 2012 6:42 AM EST
A strong earthquake off the coast of Guatemala on Wednesday shook buildings in Guatemala City, killed eight people and caused evacuations as far away as Mexico City.
A local fire chief said the dead were buried under rubble in three different Guatemalan towns. It was the strongest earthquake to hit Guatemala since a 7.5 magnitude quake in 1976 that claimed more than 20,000 lives.
Landslides were blocking roads in some areas, authorities said, and about 40 houses were severely damaged after the 7.4 magnitude earthquake hit at 10:35 a.m. local time (4:35 p.m. British time).
The quake struck off Guatemala's Pacific coast, 15 miles (24 km) south of Champerico, Guatemala, and 101 miles (163 km) west-southwest of the capital, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
A Reuters witness in Guatemala City said people were returning to work after evacuations which filled the streets with office workers calling friends and relatives on their cellphones.
"It was really big, I felt quite nauseous," said secretary Vanessa Castillo, 32, who was evacuated from her 10th-floor office in Guatemala City.
Building janitor Jorge Gamboa said: "I was in the bathroom. When I came out the office was empty and I thought, what's happening? They didn't even say goodbye."
The epicentre was 26 miles (42 km) below the surface, according to the USGS, which initially reported the quake as magnitude 7.5.
The quake was also felt in El Salvador and more than 750 miles (1,000 km) away in Mexico City, where some office workers were also briefly evacuated. Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said the quake was felt strongly in a large part of the city of 20 million people.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said a very small tsunami was registered on Guatemala's coast, adding there was a risk of localized damage within a 62 mile (100 km) radius.
(With reporting by Nelson Renteria in San Salvador; Writing by Krista Hughes; Editing by Simon Gardner and Vicki Allen)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery