Guatemalan Earthquake 2012: 7.4 Quake Hits Guatemala City, Shakes As Far As Mexico City
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 5:33 AM EST
A strong 7.4 earthquake struck near the coast of Guatemala on Wednesday shaking buildings in Guatemala City and as far as Mexico City.
According to Reuters, eight people were injured when a building collapsed in San Marcos from the earthquake. Firefighters said landslides were blocking some roads but there were no reports of deaths.
The magnitude 7.4 quake struck 15 miles south of Champerico, Guatemala close to the border with Mexico, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, at 10:35 a.m. (1635 GMT). There is no widespread tsunami threat, according to The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The USGS said the epicenter was 26 miles below the surface. The quake was initially reported as a 7.5 magnitude.
Reuters reported many people in Guatemala City were evacuated in the capital. Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said its 20 million people felt the quake.
"There are evacuations in various parts of the city," he said on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29