Guatemalan Earthquake 2012: 7.4 Quake Hits Guatemala City, Shakes As Far As Mexico City
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 5:33 AM EST
A strong 7.4 earthquake struck near the coast of Guatemala on Wednesday shaking buildings in Guatemala City and as far as Mexico City.
According to Reuters, eight people were injured when a building collapsed in San Marcos from the earthquake. Firefighters said landslides were blocking some roads but there were no reports of deaths.
The magnitude 7.4 quake struck 15 miles south of Champerico, Guatemala close to the border with Mexico, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, at 10:35 a.m. (1635 GMT). There is no widespread tsunami threat, according to The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The USGS said the epicenter was 26 miles below the surface. The quake was initially reported as a 7.5 magnitude.
Reuters reported many people in Guatemala City were evacuated in the capital. Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said its 20 million people felt the quake.
"There are evacuations in various parts of the city," he said on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles