Guatemalan Earthquake 2012: 7.4 Quake Hits Guatemala City, Shakes As Far As Mexico City
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 5:33 AM EST
A strong 7.4 earthquake struck near the coast of Guatemala on Wednesday shaking buildings in Guatemala City and as far as Mexico City.
According to Reuters, eight people were injured when a building collapsed in San Marcos from the earthquake. Firefighters said landslides were blocking some roads but there were no reports of deaths.
The magnitude 7.4 quake struck 15 miles south of Champerico, Guatemala close to the border with Mexico, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, at 10:35 a.m. (1635 GMT). There is no widespread tsunami threat, according to The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The USGS said the epicenter was 26 miles below the surface. The quake was initially reported as a 7.5 magnitude.
Reuters reported many people in Guatemala City were evacuated in the capital. Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said its 20 million people felt the quake.
"There are evacuations in various parts of the city," he said on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Streaks of Jealousy Found Among Dogs
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On