Guatemalan Earthquake 2012: 7.4 Quake Hits Guatemala City, Shakes As Far As Mexico City
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 5:33 AM EST
A strong 7.4 earthquake struck near the coast of Guatemala on Wednesday shaking buildings in Guatemala City and as far as Mexico City.
According to Reuters, eight people were injured when a building collapsed in San Marcos from the earthquake. Firefighters said landslides were blocking some roads but there were no reports of deaths.
The magnitude 7.4 quake struck 15 miles south of Champerico, Guatemala close to the border with Mexico, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, at 10:35 a.m. (1635 GMT). There is no widespread tsunami threat, according to The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The USGS said the epicenter was 26 miles below the surface. The quake was initially reported as a 7.5 magnitude.
Reuters reported many people in Guatemala City were evacuated in the capital. Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said its 20 million people felt the quake.
"There are evacuations in various parts of the city," he said on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Testicular Cancer Survivor Pushes 6-Foot Giant Ball Across The US To Create Awareness About Ailment
- New Project Will Send 1 of Every 50,000 Applicants to Space
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date