Guatemalan Earthquake 2012: 7.4 Quake Hits Guatemala City, Shakes As Far As Mexico City
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 5:33 AM EST
A strong 7.4 earthquake struck near the coast of Guatemala on Wednesday shaking buildings in Guatemala City and as far as Mexico City.
According to Reuters, eight people were injured when a building collapsed in San Marcos from the earthquake. Firefighters said landslides were blocking some roads but there were no reports of deaths.
The magnitude 7.4 quake struck 15 miles south of Champerico, Guatemala close to the border with Mexico, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, at 10:35 a.m. (1635 GMT). There is no widespread tsunami threat, according to The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The USGS said the epicenter was 26 miles below the surface. The quake was initially reported as a 7.5 magnitude.
Reuters reported many people in Guatemala City were evacuated in the capital. Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said its 20 million people felt the quake.
"There are evacuations in various parts of the city," he said on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Australians Could Expect To See 30-40 Meteors An Hour During Geminid Shower On Dec 13-14
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast