“Good Upside” Seen in Gold Miners, Says CIBC
By jturbin | November 8, 2012 5:00 AM EST
The end of mining strikes across South Africa has created a buying opportunity in several gold stocks, according to a report this week by CIBC World Markets.
Yesterday, the KDC East mine – owned by Gold Fields (GFI) – returned to work following a 23-day strike. CIBC analyst Leon Esterhuizen noted that KDC East is the “last major South African mine to go back to work,” and that Gold Fields lost approximately 3% of its annual production output due to the strike.
As for other large gold miners in South Africa, Esterhuizen estimated that Harmony Gold (HMY) lost roughly 1% of its annual production, while AngoldGold Ashanti (AU) shed 4%.
The CIBC analyst went on to say that “We believe that there is an opportunity in the SA gold majors, which are being unfairly penalized following the recent strike issues. The immediate production losses associated with these strikes were generally less than would be suggested by the share price performance since the labor unrest started.”
(For more analysis, and to see how these stocks stack up against over 90 other precious metals companies, visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com)
On a valuation basis, Esterhuizen highlighted that “The stocks are all currently trading at about 5x to 6x P/CF compared to a historical trading range of 5x-20x.”
As a result, he contended that “These stocks offer some good upside over next couple of quarters. An increasing gold price over this period could further boost this upside potential, in our opinion.”
In early afternoon trading on Wednesday, shares of GFI rose by 1.4% to $12.77 while AU added 0.9% to $34.36. Shares of HMY fared quite better, jumping 6.7% to $8.60 after Harmony Gold reported better than expected earnings results.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter