“Good Upside” Seen in Gold Miners, Says CIBC
By jturbin | November 8, 2012 5:00 AM EST
The end of mining strikes across South Africa has created a buying opportunity in several gold stocks, according to a report this week by CIBC World Markets.
Yesterday, the KDC East mine – owned by Gold Fields (GFI) – returned to work following a 23-day strike. CIBC analyst Leon Esterhuizen noted that KDC East is the “last major South African mine to go back to work,” and that Gold Fields lost approximately 3% of its annual production output due to the strike.
As for other large gold miners in South Africa, Esterhuizen estimated that Harmony Gold (HMY) lost roughly 1% of its annual production, while AngoldGold Ashanti (AU) shed 4%.
The CIBC analyst went on to say that “We believe that there is an opportunity in the SA gold majors, which are being unfairly penalized following the recent strike issues. The immediate production losses associated with these strikes were generally less than would be suggested by the share price performance since the labor unrest started.”
(For more analysis, and to see how these stocks stack up against over 90 other precious metals companies, visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com)
On a valuation basis, Esterhuizen highlighted that “The stocks are all currently trading at about 5x to 6x P/CF compared to a historical trading range of 5x-20x.”
As a result, he contended that “These stocks offer some good upside over next couple of quarters. An increasing gold price over this period could further boost this upside potential, in our opinion.”
In early afternoon trading on Wednesday, shares of GFI rose by 1.4% to $12.77 while AU added 0.9% to $34.36. Shares of HMY fared quite better, jumping 6.7% to $8.60 after Harmony Gold reported better than expected earnings results.
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks