Was Diane Sawyer Drunk During ABC's 2012 Presidential Election Coverage? [VIDEO]
By Toyin Owoseje | November 8, 2012 5:12 AM EST
ABC's veteran anchor Diane Sawyer is at the centre of a Twitter storm today following claims she was drunk during her live coverage on election night.
Critics have accused the host, who covered the President's Obama's re-election with co-anchor George Stephanopoulos, of being "tipsy" and "hammered" on one of America's most important nights.
They claim that throughout the broadcast Sawyer appeared distracted, stumbled over her words, spoke unusually loudly and exhibited some bizarre behaviour.
In a two-minute clip that has gone viral, she "spoke more slowly than usual while seeming to prop herself on outstretched arms at the anchor desk." The Associated Press reported.
At one point she says: "OK. I wanna - can we have our music, because this is another big one here? Minnesota, we're ready to project Minnesota, rrright now. ... Well, tonight we know that President Barack has won Minnesota."
Viewers and celebrities alike quickly took to social media to criticise and poke fun at the allegedly drunken host.
While some made light of the situation, others suggested that it was a stunt by the network to boost ratings.
Josh Groban tweeted, "I'll have what Diane Sawyer is having."
Ricki Lake wrote: "And Diane Sawyer declares tonight's winner is... chardonnay!"
Sawyer has since become a trending topic on Twitter, with the Twitter handle @DrnkDianeSawyer, set up to mock her.
One tweet from the account said: "nothig to c here guys im ok d'ont worry abot me."
An ABC spokesman declined to comment.
Was Diane Sawyer really drunk? Watch the video and decide for yourself...
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon