Revealed: How Chelsea Misfit Was Locked Out of Training
By Nick Howson | November 8, 2012 5:00 AM EST
Chelsea winger Florent Malouda was banished to youth team training sessions after being locked out of first-team training by club officials.
The Frenchman hasn't featured for The Blues this season and posted a picture on Twitter of the club's Under-21 training quarters earlier in the season.
And his agent, Stephane Renaud, says while the 32 year old is currently in great shape, he had no choice but to training with the youth side after being locked out of first-team training by Chelsea officials.
"He is in exceptional fitness, I can assure you," Renaud told France Football. "He does his job the best he can, working hard and having rest. He needed that after the last few seasons with 60 matches.
"The only problem is he doesn't play. He has one year remaining on his contract.
"When I go to his home, his wife and children are very happy. They can see him more often.
"He is far from wanting to stop his career. He remains very motivated and hopes for a last great challenge."
"I won't exaggerate and pretend he is living a dream. To be forced to stop is not a blessing, but he has taken advantage of it with his physical work and honestly I have rarely seen him so fit.
"Is he upset to be training with the youngsters' team? Not at all! He asked for it when the officials locked the door of the professional training sessions."
Malouda hasn't played for Chelsea since May, amid the signing of Eden Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin in the summer.
The France international is in the final year of his contract at Stamford Bridge, and appears unlikely to earn an extension in his final year, instead hoping to earn a move away either during the January transfer window or as a free agent next summer.
Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou and Jose Bosingwa were all released in the summer after their contracts expired, but with Malouda having little involvement thus far this term, it appears unlikely he will stay at Chelsea much beyond the New Year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]