More New York Evacuations: Nor’easter Athena Hits US After Sandy Devestation
By Hannah Osborne | November 8, 2012 4:15 AM EST
Just days after the devastation of superstorm sandy, the nor'easter has brought with it high winds, snow, heavy rain and sleet, which will now batter the already damaged areas.
The National Weather Service has forecast snow across the north east of the US for the next three days. "This is an average of 22 different forecasts showing the potential for significant accumulating snow from the Philadelphia area today, north and east across parts of New England through tonight," it said.
The Weather Channel has predicted that Athena could produce a foot of snow. It warned that while this may not be a problem, the high winds may cause additional power outages. At present, around 676,000 in the north east are without power.
Tom Niziol, winter weather expert for The Weather Channel, said: "It's not a massive nor'easter by winter standards, but at this time of year immediately after Sandy's wrath and destruction, this isn't what we want.
"Mother Nature is not cutting us a break along the East Coast. We've got a lot of cold air in place down in the lower part of the atmosphere, and it is looking more like snowfall event for good portions of New Jersey, up through eastern Pennsylvania, right up through southeastern New York into New England."
New York Mayor, Michael Bloomberg, said evacuations would be voluntary. He also closed the city's parks and museums as a precautionary measure today.
He said: "Even though it's not anywhere near as strong as Sandy - nor strong enough, in normal times, for us to evacuate anybody - out of precaution and because of the changing physical circumstances, we are going to go to some small areas and ask those people to go to higher ground."
A spokesperson for the World Trade Centre park said the memorial will be shut as well.
Athena's arrival comes at a critical time for people living on the east coast of the US. Bloomberg recently warned that almost 40,000 are in need of shelter in New York, and authorities are trying to find accommodation before temperatures plummet.
"We don't have a lot of empty housing in this city. It's a problem to find housing. We're not going to let anybody go sleeping in the street. But it's a challenge and we're working on this as fast as we can," he said.
Nor'easter storms are common in this area of the US in the later part of the year. They form from a low-pressure system and it gets its name from the strong northeasterly winds that blown in before the storm hits. They specifically affect the mid-Atlantic and New England states.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Accelerates Ban on Shark Finning
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence