Huddlestone Glad Transfer Fell Through As He Targets First Team Action
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 4:00 AM EST
Tottenham midfielder Tom Huddlestone is once again enjoying life at White Hart Lane after forcing his way back into the first team just months after his proposed transfer to Stoke fell through.
The 25-year-old was able to make just four appearances last season as injuries kept him on the sidelines for the best part of 10 months. He returned to full training during pre-season and was set to join Stoke on a loan deal in order to prove his fitness.
Huddlestone began training with Stoke but the deal could not be completed and the midfielder returned to Tottenham. He has since forced his way into the first team plans of manager Andre Villas-Boas and is hoping that he can remain a permanent fixture in the Spurs midfield.
"The clubs had something in place but the agreement changed at the last minute which made the deal fall through but in hindsight it worked out well as I have come back to Tottenham and now I am playing," said Huddlestone, who was speaking at a press conference before the Europa League tie against Maribor.
Huddlestone was then quizzed on whether he believed Tottenham would once again look to send him out on-loan.
"You never know, but I've been in the team the last few weeks and it's up to me to cement my place and give the manager no option to leave me out.," he added.
The former Derby County midfielder has featured in seven league games this season and has now made three starts after summer signing Moussa Dembele was forced out due to injury.
With Scott Parker also sidelined, there has been an opportunity for Huddlestone to impress and he is hoping that he can remain in the starting XI once Villas-Boas has a fully fit squad to select from.
"It's been very enjoyable," said Huddlestone after life under Villas-Boas. "The beginning was tough as I wasn't involved but unfortunately a couple lads have got injuries and hopefully I can cement my place back in the starting eleven."
The powerful midfielder had been a favourite under former manager Harry Redknapp but has been forced to adapt to life under the former Chelsea boss and is duly impressed with Villas-Boas.
"He's been very organised. We know what session we will do before we go out to train," added Huddlestone. "It's quite a rigid team shape under this manager; it's more his ideas and we try to stick to them."
Huddlestone also asked the fans to show some patience after the surprise loss to Wigan last weekend, where fans began to voice their concerns.
"The fans will have to be patient but I think that will come in time. It's always difficult when we've had positive results in previous seasons," stated Huddlestone.
"Teams make it difficult for you to break them down. I think if we start fast and teams have to attack us then that's when we will be at our best."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date