Kraft affirms outlook as it seeks to tailor products
By Martinne Geller | November 8, 2012 4:00 AM EST
Kraft Foods Group Inc
Kraft was spun off last month from the maker of Cadbury chocolates and Oreo cookies, which goes by the name of Mondelez International
U.S. consumers face stubbornly high unemployment and slow economic growth. In the weakened economy, Kraft said it must drive sales volume with more advertising and a greater range of products and prices, in what it calls a "good, better, best" strategy.
"You have to be able to offer price points and innovation in all segments," said Kraft Chief Executive Tony Vernon on a conference call. He said specific areas needing improvement were Maxwell House coffee, Planters nuts and Jell-O.
"The economic environment has not improved and that creates a burning platform for Kraft, our customers and our industry," Vernon said.
Kraft shares were down 22 cents, or 0.5 percent, at $44.48 in late morning trade. The broader market, as measured by the S&P 500 index <.SPX>, was down more than 2 percent, a day after the re-election of President Barack Obama. Comments by European Central Bank President Mario Draghi weighed on sentiment.
Kraft said net income rose to $470 million, or 79 cents per share, from $417 million, or 70 cents per share, a year earlier.
Revenue increased 3 percent to $4.61 billion. Most of the increase came from volume gains and selling a more expensive mix of products, with a smaller contribution from price increases.
The company affirmed its 2013 outlook, calling for earnings of $2.60 per share and revenue growth in line with the rest of the North American food and beverage market.
Kraft said revenue in the current fourth quarter would be flat to down due to a comparison with the year-earlier period when retailers increased orders in advance of a price increase.
In addition, Kraft will lose sales from some products that it pruned from its portfolio.
(Reporting by Martinne Geller in New York; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Grant McCool)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop