Kraft affirms outlook as it seeks to tailor products
By Martinne Geller | November 8, 2012 4:00 AM EST
Kraft Foods Group Inc
Kraft was spun off last month from the maker of Cadbury chocolates and Oreo cookies, which goes by the name of Mondelez International
U.S. consumers face stubbornly high unemployment and slow economic growth. In the weakened economy, Kraft said it must drive sales volume with more advertising and a greater range of products and prices, in what it calls a "good, better, best" strategy.
"You have to be able to offer price points and innovation in all segments," said Kraft Chief Executive Tony Vernon on a conference call. He said specific areas needing improvement were Maxwell House coffee, Planters nuts and Jell-O.
"The economic environment has not improved and that creates a burning platform for Kraft, our customers and our industry," Vernon said.
Kraft shares were down 22 cents, or 0.5 percent, at $44.48 in late morning trade. The broader market, as measured by the S&P 500 index <.SPX>, was down more than 2 percent, a day after the re-election of President Barack Obama. Comments by European Central Bank President Mario Draghi weighed on sentiment.
Kraft said net income rose to $470 million, or 79 cents per share, from $417 million, or 70 cents per share, a year earlier.
Revenue increased 3 percent to $4.61 billion. Most of the increase came from volume gains and selling a more expensive mix of products, with a smaller contribution from price increases.
The company affirmed its 2013 outlook, calling for earnings of $2.60 per share and revenue growth in line with the rest of the North American food and beverage market.
Kraft said revenue in the current fourth quarter would be flat to down due to a comparison with the year-earlier period when retailers increased orders in advance of a price increase.
In addition, Kraft will lose sales from some products that it pruned from its portfolio.
(Reporting by Martinne Geller in New York; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Grant McCool)
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage