Kraft affirms outlook as it seeks to tailor products
By Martinne Geller | November 8, 2012 4:00 AM EST
Kraft Foods Group Inc
Kraft was spun off last month from the maker of Cadbury chocolates and Oreo cookies, which goes by the name of Mondelez International
U.S. consumers face stubbornly high unemployment and slow economic growth. In the weakened economy, Kraft said it must drive sales volume with more advertising and a greater range of products and prices, in what it calls a "good, better, best" strategy.
"You have to be able to offer price points and innovation in all segments," said Kraft Chief Executive Tony Vernon on a conference call. He said specific areas needing improvement were Maxwell House coffee, Planters nuts and Jell-O.
"The economic environment has not improved and that creates a burning platform for Kraft, our customers and our industry," Vernon said.
Kraft shares were down 22 cents, or 0.5 percent, at $44.48 in late morning trade. The broader market, as measured by the S&P 500 index <.SPX>, was down more than 2 percent, a day after the re-election of President Barack Obama. Comments by European Central Bank President Mario Draghi weighed on sentiment.
Kraft said net income rose to $470 million, or 79 cents per share, from $417 million, or 70 cents per share, a year earlier.
Revenue increased 3 percent to $4.61 billion. Most of the increase came from volume gains and selling a more expensive mix of products, with a smaller contribution from price increases.
The company affirmed its 2013 outlook, calling for earnings of $2.60 per share and revenue growth in line with the rest of the North American food and beverage market.
Kraft said revenue in the current fourth quarter would be flat to down due to a comparison with the year-earlier period when retailers increased orders in advance of a price increase.
In addition, Kraft will lose sales from some products that it pruned from its portfolio.
(Reporting by Martinne Geller in New York; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Grant McCool)
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best