Villas–Boas Responds to Adebayor Transfer Rumours and 'Hate Tweet'
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 3:15 AM EST
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas confirmed that Emmanuel Adebayor would not be leaving the club after rumours emerged linking the striker with a move to Celta Vigo. He has also waved aside a tweet from one of his players that painted him in an unflattering light.
The forward has struggled to force his way into the Tottenham first team since signing on a permanent deal from Manchester City during the summer transfer window.
The form of Jermain Defoe, combined with numerous injuries, have meant that Adebayor is yet to complete 90 minutes for Tottenham this season, adding fuel to the suggestion that Villas-Boas would consider allowing him to leave.
However, the former Chelsea boss made it clear Adebayor would be part of the first team plans and that he would soon have his opportunity to make an impact.
"He is certainly not a player we are interested in selling or loaning," confirmed Villas-Boas at a press conference ahead of the Europa League tie against Maribor.
"Unfortunately it hasn't worked out because of his injuries and he has missed an important sequence of games. We have full belief in Adebayor, he is one of the best strikers in the world."
The Tottenham fans voiced thei concerns after the 1-0 home loss to Wigan as Villas-Boas refused to change his system and choose to replace Defoe with Adebayor, rather than go with two up top.
Villas-Boas has preferred to use a lone striker since joining the club, a system which previous manager Harry Redknapp also favoured, but he admits that he has discussed the possibility of playing two forwards.
"Yes we have had thoughts between the technical staff regarding changing our structure," admitted Villas-Boas. "We have been successful in the past using the lone striker but we have also played 4-4-2 in some games. You will see us using it. If the right time is tomorrow [against Maribor] I'm not quite sure yet."
The Spurs boss also addressed the comments from full-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto who joked on Twitter: "Hello [sic] every 0ne!!!!! b strong at work and think positif!!!! Even if u hate ur boss Lol."
Villas-Boas clearly saw this as a joke as an instant smile appeared on his face when asked about the tweet.
"I was with him this morning. I think it was related to a friend," said a clearly amused Villas-Boas. "We have a very good relationship and it was good banter from him."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners