Americans Threaten To Move To Canada, Australia, Colorado After Election
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 2:05 AM EST
Many citizens are continuing a humorous tradition that occurs during presidential elections; threatening to move out of the country if the candidate they support loses.
Oftentimes, Americans tend to look to our neighbor to the north, Canada, for proposed refuge; however, in the 2012 election, many have found alternate places to which to escape.
Along with Canada, people are looking toward Australia and Colorado of all places.
Yahoo News reported that several Americans tweeted their destinations during election night on Nov. 6.
In a chart, Yahoo detailed destinations by Tweets as the night went on, from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
As President Obama was announced as the reelected incumbent, just after 11 p.m., Tweets spiked. While most Tweets, nearly 1,100 suggested that most Americans are looking to simply hop across the border into Canada, just over 200 Twitter users report they plan to move down under. At 11:30 p.m., approximately 100 Tweets spoke of moving to the state of Colorado.
Despite Colorado being in the United States, many seem interested in visiting the mid-western state because it legalized the recreational use of marijuana during its general election. Colorado’s Amendment 64 to legalize marijuana passed 54 percent to 46 percent, according to NBC News. The state is the first to legalize marijuana; followed by Washington, who also passed Amendment 64 during the general election.
Among the many Tweets making of the historical yet controversial vote, several
Dan Hardy, @danhardymma, tweeted, “How many people are packing the car and moving to Colorado this weekend?!.”
@whatitsmenej, tweeted, “I just booked a flight to Colorado.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions