Americans Threaten To Move To Canada, Australia, Colorado After Election
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 2:05 AM EST
Many citizens are continuing a humorous tradition that occurs during presidential elections; threatening to move out of the country if the candidate they support loses.
Oftentimes, Americans tend to look to our neighbor to the north, Canada, for proposed refuge; however, in the 2012 election, many have found alternate places to which to escape.
Along with Canada, people are looking toward Australia and Colorado of all places.
Yahoo News reported that several Americans tweeted their destinations during election night on Nov. 6.
In a chart, Yahoo detailed destinations by Tweets as the night went on, from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
As President Obama was announced as the reelected incumbent, just after 11 p.m., Tweets spiked. While most Tweets, nearly 1,100 suggested that most Americans are looking to simply hop across the border into Canada, just over 200 Twitter users report they plan to move down under. At 11:30 p.m., approximately 100 Tweets spoke of moving to the state of Colorado.
Despite Colorado being in the United States, many seem interested in visiting the mid-western state because it legalized the recreational use of marijuana during its general election. Colorado’s Amendment 64 to legalize marijuana passed 54 percent to 46 percent, according to NBC News. The state is the first to legalize marijuana; followed by Washington, who also passed Amendment 64 during the general election.
Among the many Tweets making of the historical yet controversial vote, several
Dan Hardy, @danhardymma, tweeted, “How many people are packing the car and moving to Colorado this weekend?!.”
@whatitsmenej, tweeted, “I just booked a flight to Colorado.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date