Arsenal Must Break Bank To Sign England Star - Clarke
By Vanessa Keller | November 8, 2012 1:27 AM EST
Former Arsenal winger Adrian Clarke has called on the club to break their wage ceiling to re-sign Theo Walcott, as the winger continues with contract talks with Arsene Wenger.
Wenger insisted today that Walcott would most definitely sign a new deal with the Gunners by Christmas, but the winger looked slightly frustrated last night as he refused to answer questions relating to why the Frenchman hadn't started him in many games this season.
Walcott was on fire last night, scoring for Arsenal as they looked to get some points on the board in the Champions League group stages. Despite limited starts this season, he's already scored eight times, and is touted for big things with England as well.
And Clarke believes that it's no longer acceptable for Arsenal to refuse to give in to the man who could be a future star for the club.
"It comes to a point where you have to bend a little," he told Talksport. "Arsenal have really good principles. They don't break the bank for anybody, they're not held to ransom and they've got a strict wage policy.
"They don't like to favour one player over another but sometimes you have to keep hold of your best players.
"You have to bend it a little bit and restructure so that Theo [Walcott] is happy. I don't think Theo is asking for the earth.
"There does come a point where they have to push the boat out just a little and see if we can give these star men what they want and build a team around them."
Arsenal have gone through some big changes over the last two summers, losing the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gale Clichy, Robin van Persie and Alex Song to teams that can offer more immediate trophies and higher wage bills.
Walcott is believed to be asking for more money than the club are willing to offer him, and also wants reassurances that he will be used in a striker position rather than on the wing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million