Arsenal Must Break Bank To Sign England Star - Clarke
By Vanessa Keller | November 8, 2012 1:27 AM EST
Former Arsenal winger Adrian Clarke has called on the club to break their wage ceiling to re-sign Theo Walcott, as the winger continues with contract talks with Arsene Wenger.
Wenger insisted today that Walcott would most definitely sign a new deal with the Gunners by Christmas, but the winger looked slightly frustrated last night as he refused to answer questions relating to why the Frenchman hadn't started him in many games this season.
Walcott was on fire last night, scoring for Arsenal as they looked to get some points on the board in the Champions League group stages. Despite limited starts this season, he's already scored eight times, and is touted for big things with England as well.
And Clarke believes that it's no longer acceptable for Arsenal to refuse to give in to the man who could be a future star for the club.
"It comes to a point where you have to bend a little," he told Talksport. "Arsenal have really good principles. They don't break the bank for anybody, they're not held to ransom and they've got a strict wage policy.
"They don't like to favour one player over another but sometimes you have to keep hold of your best players.
"You have to bend it a little bit and restructure so that Theo [Walcott] is happy. I don't think Theo is asking for the earth.
"There does come a point where they have to push the boat out just a little and see if we can give these star men what they want and build a team around them."
Arsenal have gone through some big changes over the last two summers, losing the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gale Clichy, Robin van Persie and Alex Song to teams that can offer more immediate trophies and higher wage bills.
Walcott is believed to be asking for more money than the club are willing to offer him, and also wants reassurances that he will be used in a striker position rather than on the wing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports