Arsenal Must Break Bank To Sign England Star - Clarke
By Vanessa Keller | November 8, 2012 1:27 AM EST
Former Arsenal winger Adrian Clarke has called on the club to break their wage ceiling to re-sign Theo Walcott, as the winger continues with contract talks with Arsene Wenger.
Wenger insisted today that Walcott would most definitely sign a new deal with the Gunners by Christmas, but the winger looked slightly frustrated last night as he refused to answer questions relating to why the Frenchman hadn't started him in many games this season.
Walcott was on fire last night, scoring for Arsenal as they looked to get some points on the board in the Champions League group stages. Despite limited starts this season, he's already scored eight times, and is touted for big things with England as well.
And Clarke believes that it's no longer acceptable for Arsenal to refuse to give in to the man who could be a future star for the club.
"It comes to a point where you have to bend a little," he told Talksport. "Arsenal have really good principles. They don't break the bank for anybody, they're not held to ransom and they've got a strict wage policy.
"They don't like to favour one player over another but sometimes you have to keep hold of your best players.
"You have to bend it a little bit and restructure so that Theo [Walcott] is happy. I don't think Theo is asking for the earth.
"There does come a point where they have to push the boat out just a little and see if we can give these star men what they want and build a team around them."
Arsenal have gone through some big changes over the last two summers, losing the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gale Clichy, Robin van Persie and Alex Song to teams that can offer more immediate trophies and higher wage bills.
Walcott is believed to be asking for more money than the club are willing to offer him, and also wants reassurances that he will be used in a striker position rather than on the wing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election