Arsenal Must Break Bank To Sign England Star - Clarke
By Vanessa Keller | November 8, 2012 1:27 AM EST
Former Arsenal winger Adrian Clarke has called on the club to break their wage ceiling to re-sign Theo Walcott, as the winger continues with contract talks with Arsene Wenger.
Wenger insisted today that Walcott would most definitely sign a new deal with the Gunners by Christmas, but the winger looked slightly frustrated last night as he refused to answer questions relating to why the Frenchman hadn't started him in many games this season.
Walcott was on fire last night, scoring for Arsenal as they looked to get some points on the board in the Champions League group stages. Despite limited starts this season, he's already scored eight times, and is touted for big things with England as well.
And Clarke believes that it's no longer acceptable for Arsenal to refuse to give in to the man who could be a future star for the club.
"It comes to a point where you have to bend a little," he told Talksport. "Arsenal have really good principles. They don't break the bank for anybody, they're not held to ransom and they've got a strict wage policy.
"They don't like to favour one player over another but sometimes you have to keep hold of your best players.
"You have to bend it a little bit and restructure so that Theo [Walcott] is happy. I don't think Theo is asking for the earth.
"There does come a point where they have to push the boat out just a little and see if we can give these star men what they want and build a team around them."
Arsenal have gone through some big changes over the last two summers, losing the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gale Clichy, Robin van Persie and Alex Song to teams that can offer more immediate trophies and higher wage bills.
Walcott is believed to be asking for more money than the club are willing to offer him, and also wants reassurances that he will be used in a striker position rather than on the wing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy