Geek Speak: Corrupt Tours Takes Tourists on Unique Trip [VIDEO EXCLUSIVE]
By Lianna Brinded | November 8, 2012 1:09 AM EST
Described by fellow World Travel Market attendees as simply "the sickest idea for a business", Corrupt Tours is the only travel company to organise trips that take you to sites that are linked to corruption - and is now looking to broaden its portfolio by setting up camp in another destination.
Speaking with IBTimes UK, co-founder Pavel Kotyza, also known as Paul, says that Corrupt's Czech-based tours, which take you to sites deemed the "best of the worst" examples of ex-communist corruption, have been such a hit that they are looking to open a second office elsewhere.
"Right now we are calling for suggestions over where we should set up another tour. If people are going to make money from corruption, we are going to be taking it back by making money out of them," said Kotyza.
Tours include the Prague Crony Safari where tourists can visit "the habitats of cronies in the wild and visit inconspicuous nests to divert unwanted attention," as well as viewing three Prague hospitals "notorious for graft and sleaze."
Dressed in berets and army fatigues, the Corrupt Tours team seems to resemble the 2D experience actors of Disney World and other theme parks, and offers trips in either English or German.
The destinations are a little esoteric, as the "safaris" can include visiting Prague's Town Hall and an empty meadow hosting a non-existent Olympic stadium.
So what does the Czech government think?
This year, Prague Mayor Bohuslav Svoboda said "of course I'm not happy [with Corrupt Tours], but if we closed the door, we would only show nothing here has changed."
According to Transparency International's 2011 Corruption Perception Index of 183 countries, Somalia tops the list as the world's most corrupt country, while the Czech Republic ranked 57th alongside Namibia and Saudi Arabia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS