Commerzbank may cut up to 6,000 jobs - paper
November 8, 2012 12:35 AM EST
Germany's second biggest lender, Commerzbank
Without naming sources German weekly Die Zeit reported on Wednesday that the job cuts are part of a multi-billion euro cost-cutting programme running until 2016.
The report comes on the same day companies across the region as diverse as telecoms equipment group Ericsson
Commerzbank, which is set to announce details of its newest strategy revamp at an investor day on Thursday, declined to comment on the report.
Labor representatives expressed concern as the Frankfurt-based bank, which is 25 percent owned by the German State, held a supervisory board meeting ahead of an investor day on November 8.
"We expect the employer to disclose any such plans and to create transparency, as this speculation causes considerable insecurity among our employees," Beate Mensch, a union official from the Ver.di trade union said in a statement on Wednesday.
The bank, which received an 18 billion euros ($23 billion)bailout in the wake of the financial crisis and collapse of Lehman Brothers, has spent years restructuring as Greek debt writedowns and a slowing euro zone economy crimp its efforts to get back on its feet and build capital to meet new European rules.
In August, Commerzbank warned of a worsening euro zone crisis and gave a grim profit outlook, saying it may not pay a dividend in 2013.
After pulling back from shipping finance, commercial real estate and public sector lending, Commerzbank now says it will overhaul its retail branch network as economic pressures mean clients are steering clear of higher margin services.
(Reporting by Arno Schuetze and Edward Taylor; Editing by Mike Nesbit)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports