Guardiola To Chelsea Or City? The Robertos Aren't Bothered
By Vanessa Keller | November 7, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Roberto Di Matteo has insisted he isn't bothered by rumours his job at Chelsea may be taken by Pep Guardiola, as speculation linked the former Barcelona manager to both the Blues and Manchester City managerial positions.
Guardiola shocked the footballing world when he quit his position with the Catalonian giants last season, sighting stress and the need for time out as his reasoning behind leaving one of the world's most successful clubs.
When Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich fired Andre Villas Boas at the start of the year, Roberto Di Matteo was always believed to be a temporary replacement while the club found a more permanent, high profile manager.
But the Italian has taken the clubs to such heights that the idea of sacking Di Matteo would be a very difficult action for Abramovich to take, even if Guardiola was available - and for now at least Di Matteo says he won't let the speculation get to him.
"From day one, the speculation has always been in the papers, so it doesn't affect me too much," he told Sky Sports.
"I have my own destiny in my hands and the club and the owner is behind it."
He continued: "I'm not thinking about that. I really believe this club deserves whatever it can achieve. That's my position.
"I work here for the club and the players. It's not about me. I think it's important for the club to have a successful campaign. That means we need to win tomorrow."
Manchester City are believed to be chasing hard to land Guardiola, and have recently hired Txiki Begiristain, who worked as technical director alongside the Barcelona man before making the move to northern England.
But Roberto Mancini was also defiant this week that Guardiola isn't being lined up to take his position, telling reporters: "Like every sporting director, he (Begiristain) will talk with me and the club before we buy players, like last year, like every year. I'm comfortable with the situation, absolutely."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6