Guardiola To Chelsea Or City? The Robertos Aren't Bothered
By Vanessa Keller | November 7, 2012 11:54 PM EST
Roberto Di Matteo has insisted he isn't bothered by rumours his job at Chelsea may be taken by Pep Guardiola, as speculation linked the former Barcelona manager to both the Blues and Manchester City managerial positions.
Guardiola shocked the footballing world when he quit his position with the Catalonian giants last season, sighting stress and the need for time out as his reasoning behind leaving one of the world's most successful clubs.
When Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich fired Andre Villas Boas at the start of the year, Roberto Di Matteo was always believed to be a temporary replacement while the club found a more permanent, high profile manager.
But the Italian has taken the clubs to such heights that the idea of sacking Di Matteo would be a very difficult action for Abramovich to take, even if Guardiola was available - and for now at least Di Matteo says he won't let the speculation get to him.
"From day one, the speculation has always been in the papers, so it doesn't affect me too much," he told Sky Sports.
"I have my own destiny in my hands and the club and the owner is behind it."
He continued: "I'm not thinking about that. I really believe this club deserves whatever it can achieve. That's my position.
"I work here for the club and the players. It's not about me. I think it's important for the club to have a successful campaign. That means we need to win tomorrow."
Manchester City are believed to be chasing hard to land Guardiola, and have recently hired Txiki Begiristain, who worked as technical director alongside the Barcelona man before making the move to northern England.
But Roberto Mancini was also defiant this week that Guardiola isn't being lined up to take his position, telling reporters: "Like every sporting director, he (Begiristain) will talk with me and the club before we buy players, like last year, like every year. I'm comfortable with the situation, absolutely."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28