How to Install Android 4.2 Gesture Keyboard APK [Manual Installation]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 7, 2012 10:38 PM EST
Google recently announced Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) and several new features that will accompany the release of the newest version of the popular mobile operating system. One of these features is Gesture Typing, which allows the user to run a finger over the letters he/she wishes to type out on the screen.
The problem for interested Android users is that this feature is presently supported only on devices that come pre-installed with the Android 4.2 firmware. However, the good news is it is now possible to port the functionality to other Android devices, courtesy XDA member soumya_digi.
Android users looking to add this functionality may follow this tutorial. However, IBTimes UK warns its readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device during installation or any other consequences.
- Enable USB debugging (Settings > Development Options)
- Ensure device has a minimum of 30 percent battery charge
- Check to ensure device is rooted (to check status, use Root Checker app from Google Play store)
To Install Stock / Default Keyboard on Any Rooted Android Device:
- Download Android 4.2 Stock / Default Keyboard APK file to computer
- Connect Android device to computer using USB cable and copy APK file to internal storage reservoir of device
- Disconnect device from computer and navigate to APK file via File Manager. Now, open file to install keyboard
- After installing app, navigate to Compose New Message option and long press on field area to obtain new keyboard settings. You may also tap on Settings in Keyboard to get the same
Note: In case, you are not able to install the keyboard using the aforementioned method then connect your device to the computer and enter the following commands in the command prompt.
- adb remount
- adb push LatinImeGoogle.apk/ system/ app/
- adb shell chmod 644/ system/app/LatinImeGoogle.apk
Congratulations... you have now installed the Android 4.2 Gesture Keyboard on your device.
[Source: Android Advices]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery