French Defender Admits he Wants Newcastle Move
By Adrian Back | November 7, 2012 9:52 PM EST
Lille defender Mathieu Debuchy has revealed that he is still keen to secure a move to Newcastle United after a potential summer move was blocked by the French club.
The France international was continually linked with Newcastle after impressing at Euro 2012 and it had appeared as though he would be joining up with former Lille team-mate Yohan Cabaye at St. James Park.
However, Lille refused to allow the right-back to leave as they originally turned down a proposal of around £4million and eventually demanded that Newcastle come back with an improved offer of £6m.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was unable to convince the board to make an offer and Debuchy has remained at Lille who are currently down in eighth place in Ligue 1.
Debuchy has continued to be a regular starter for Lille but has admitted that he would still like to complete a move to Newcastle.
"I fought for the Newcastle move, but our club president Michel Seydoux did not want me to go so I was left disappointed," Debuchy is quoted as saying in The Sun.
"I was regularly on the phone to Newcastle representatives and there were several offers. I'm focused on Lille, but hopefully there will be other opportunities because I want to go to Newcastle."
The 27-year-old has spent his entire career with Lille and in the last few seasons has established himself as first choice at right-back for France.
He won the league title two seasons ago and has since seen the likes of Cabaye, Eden Hazard and Gervinho all move to England in order to further their careers.
Pardew was keen to sign the defender as injuries had played havoc with his options at the back and this season he has used Danny Simpson, Vurnon Anita and Liam Perch at right-back.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2