French Defender Admits he Wants Newcastle Move
By Adrian Back | November 7, 2012 9:52 PM EST
Lille defender Mathieu Debuchy has revealed that he is still keen to secure a move to Newcastle United after a potential summer move was blocked by the French club.
The France international was continually linked with Newcastle after impressing at Euro 2012 and it had appeared as though he would be joining up with former Lille team-mate Yohan Cabaye at St. James Park.
However, Lille refused to allow the right-back to leave as they originally turned down a proposal of around £4million and eventually demanded that Newcastle come back with an improved offer of £6m.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was unable to convince the board to make an offer and Debuchy has remained at Lille who are currently down in eighth place in Ligue 1.
Debuchy has continued to be a regular starter for Lille but has admitted that he would still like to complete a move to Newcastle.
"I fought for the Newcastle move, but our club president Michel Seydoux did not want me to go so I was left disappointed," Debuchy is quoted as saying in The Sun.
"I was regularly on the phone to Newcastle representatives and there were several offers. I'm focused on Lille, but hopefully there will be other opportunities because I want to go to Newcastle."
The 27-year-old has spent his entire career with Lille and in the last few seasons has established himself as first choice at right-back for France.
He won the league title two seasons ago and has since seen the likes of Cabaye, Eden Hazard and Gervinho all move to England in order to further their careers.
Pardew was keen to sign the defender as injuries had played havoc with his options at the back and this season he has used Danny Simpson, Vurnon Anita and Liam Perch at right-back.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation