French Defender Admits he Wants Newcastle Move
By Adrian Back | November 7, 2012 9:52 PM EST
Lille defender Mathieu Debuchy has revealed that he is still keen to secure a move to Newcastle United after a potential summer move was blocked by the French club.
The France international was continually linked with Newcastle after impressing at Euro 2012 and it had appeared as though he would be joining up with former Lille team-mate Yohan Cabaye at St. James Park.
However, Lille refused to allow the right-back to leave as they originally turned down a proposal of around £4million and eventually demanded that Newcastle come back with an improved offer of £6m.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was unable to convince the board to make an offer and Debuchy has remained at Lille who are currently down in eighth place in Ligue 1.
Debuchy has continued to be a regular starter for Lille but has admitted that he would still like to complete a move to Newcastle.
"I fought for the Newcastle move, but our club president Michel Seydoux did not want me to go so I was left disappointed," Debuchy is quoted as saying in The Sun.
"I was regularly on the phone to Newcastle representatives and there were several offers. I'm focused on Lille, but hopefully there will be other opportunities because I want to go to Newcastle."
The 27-year-old has spent his entire career with Lille and in the last few seasons has established himself as first choice at right-back for France.
He won the league title two seasons ago and has since seen the likes of Cabaye, Eden Hazard and Gervinho all move to England in order to further their careers.
Pardew was keen to sign the defender as injuries had played havoc with his options at the back and this season he has used Danny Simpson, Vurnon Anita and Liam Perch at right-back.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales