Liverpool Face Fine or Suspended Points Deduction Over Dempsey Debacle
By Adrian Back | November 7, 2012 8:24 PM EST
Liverpool are preparing for a Premier League hearing as they attempt to fight the charge of illegally approaching Clint Dempsey during the summer transfer window when he was still a Fulham player.
The attacking midfielder was continually linked with a move to Liverpool over the summer but eventually decided to join Tottenham on deadline day.
Fulham made an official complaint about Liverpool as they believe that the club have broken Premier League rules by 'tapping up' the midfielder.
The Daily Telegraph has reported that Liverpool could face a fine or even a suspended points deduction should they be unable to successfully defend their case.
The complaint from the west London club came after Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers made public his intention to attempt to sign Dempsey in an article which was published on the clubs official website.
This was not the only complaint from Fulham who were also unhappy with the statement on the New England Sports website which claimed that Liverpool had already agreed to sign the United States international.
The website is run by the Liverpool owners who subsequently sent an apology to Fulham, however, this has not stopped the club from pursuing their case against the Merseyside club.
Liverpool eventually missed out on signing Dempsey as an offer from Tottenham was accepted, but that has not stopped Fulham from following through their complaint and it seems a hearing is now inevitable.
As of yet there is no indication as to when the hearing will take place but it is understood that Liverpool will attempt to fight the charge.
There have been similar cases in the Premier League with Chelsea once receiving a suspended three point deduction for illegally approaching Ashley Cole.
Liverpool have also previously been accused of making an illegal approach, when Tottenham made a complaint about striker Robbie Keane which was subsequently dropped when he made the move to Anfield.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?