Liverpool Face Fine or Suspended Points Deduction Over Dempsey Debacle
By Adrian Back | November 7, 2012 8:24 PM EST
Liverpool are preparing for a Premier League hearing as they attempt to fight the charge of illegally approaching Clint Dempsey during the summer transfer window when he was still a Fulham player.
The attacking midfielder was continually linked with a move to Liverpool over the summer but eventually decided to join Tottenham on deadline day.
Fulham made an official complaint about Liverpool as they believe that the club have broken Premier League rules by 'tapping up' the midfielder.
The Daily Telegraph has reported that Liverpool could face a fine or even a suspended points deduction should they be unable to successfully defend their case.
The complaint from the west London club came after Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers made public his intention to attempt to sign Dempsey in an article which was published on the clubs official website.
This was not the only complaint from Fulham who were also unhappy with the statement on the New England Sports website which claimed that Liverpool had already agreed to sign the United States international.
The website is run by the Liverpool owners who subsequently sent an apology to Fulham, however, this has not stopped the club from pursuing their case against the Merseyside club.
Liverpool eventually missed out on signing Dempsey as an offer from Tottenham was accepted, but that has not stopped Fulham from following through their complaint and it seems a hearing is now inevitable.
As of yet there is no indication as to when the hearing will take place but it is understood that Liverpool will attempt to fight the charge.
There have been similar cases in the Premier League with Chelsea once receiving a suspended three point deduction for illegally approaching Ashley Cole.
Liverpool have also previously been accused of making an illegal approach, when Tottenham made a complaint about striker Robbie Keane which was subsequently dropped when he made the move to Anfield.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery