BNP Paribas doubles third-quarter profit, boosts capital
By Lionel Laurent and Matthias Blamont | November 7, 2012 5:35 PM EST
France's No. 1 bank said it had completed its plan to slim down its balance sheet and boost capital under tougher Basel III rules, effectively turning the page on the turbulent summer of 2011 that saw French banks scramble to sell assets after investors dumped their shares.
BNP's closely watched Basel III solvency ratio stood at 9.5 percent on September 30, BNP said on Wednesday, a fresh high that put it ahead of rivals like UBS
The bank's focus is now on broader cost cuts as Europe's economic slowdown deepens, with its domestic retail division seen as ripe for change, BNP's chief executive told Reuters Insider television.
"We have a very good, strict risk control and we are also working quite efficiently on the cost base," Jean-Laurent Bonnafe said. "We are adapting the (French retail) model."
BNP's third-quarter net profit more than doubled to 1.32 billion euros ($1.69 billion) from 541 million in the same period a year ago. The mean of 10 analyst estimates was 1.18 billion, according to a Reuters poll.
Revenue fell 3.4 percent to 9.69 billion euros. The mean estimate in the poll was 9.31 billion.
Like rivals across the industry, BNP benefited from central bankers' moves to spur growth and promises to keep the euro zone from breaking apart, which buoyed trading in the third quarter.
The bank has also lifted its balance-sheet strength over the past year by cutting staff, costs and its exposure to peripheral euro zone economies like Greece. This time last year, BNP took hefty losses on its Greek sovereign debt portfolio as part of an agreement with global lenders.
However, with even core European economies like France struggling to lift growth and bring unemployment down, BNP's traditional retail-banking "cash cow" is weakening. French retail revenue fell 2 percent, testament to bankers' views that domestic branch networks are ripe for cutbacks.
($1 = 0.7812 euros)
(Editing by James Regan)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance