BNP Paribas doubles third-quarter profit, boosts capital
By Lionel Laurent and Matthias Blamont | November 7, 2012 5:35 PM EST
France's No. 1 bank said it had completed its plan to slim down its balance sheet and boost capital under tougher Basel III rules, effectively turning the page on the turbulent summer of 2011 that saw French banks scramble to sell assets after investors dumped their shares.
BNP's closely watched Basel III solvency ratio stood at 9.5 percent on September 30, BNP said on Wednesday, a fresh high that put it ahead of rivals like UBS
The bank's focus is now on broader cost cuts as Europe's economic slowdown deepens, with its domestic retail division seen as ripe for change, BNP's chief executive told Reuters Insider television.
"We have a very good, strict risk control and we are also working quite efficiently on the cost base," Jean-Laurent Bonnafe said. "We are adapting the (French retail) model."
BNP's third-quarter net profit more than doubled to 1.32 billion euros ($1.69 billion) from 541 million in the same period a year ago. The mean of 10 analyst estimates was 1.18 billion, according to a Reuters poll.
Revenue fell 3.4 percent to 9.69 billion euros. The mean estimate in the poll was 9.31 billion.
Like rivals across the industry, BNP benefited from central bankers' moves to spur growth and promises to keep the euro zone from breaking apart, which buoyed trading in the third quarter.
The bank has also lifted its balance-sheet strength over the past year by cutting staff, costs and its exposure to peripheral euro zone economies like Greece. This time last year, BNP took hefty losses on its Greek sovereign debt portfolio as part of an agreement with global lenders.
However, with even core European economies like France struggling to lift growth and bring unemployment down, BNP's traditional retail-banking "cash cow" is weakening. French retail revenue fell 2 percent, testament to bankers' views that domestic branch networks are ripe for cutbacks.
($1 = 0.7812 euros)
(Editing by James Regan)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date