Soros says Obama victory means "more sensible politics"
By Jennifer Ablan and Matthew Goldstein | November 7, 2012 4:42 PM EST
Soros, who has contributed mightily to Democratic causes and supported many liberal and progressive groups, told Reuters: "I'm delighted that President Obama has won. The American electorate has rejected extremist positions."
In an email exchange, Soros, who was in Budapest, said he hopes "the Republicans in office will make better partners in the coming years."
He noted that cooperation between America's political parties is "urgently" needed to deal with the so-called fiscal cliff - the yearend combination of expiring Bush-era tax reductions and steep cuts in domestic spending.
Soros, 82, rose to fame and fortune two decades ago on a now-historic trade in which he took on the Bank of England and shrewdly wagered on a devaluation of the British pound.
Last year, Soros, who frequently speaks out on world economic events, converted his hedge fund into a "family office," managing money for relatives and friends. He stopped managing money for outside investors.
(Reporting By Jennifer Ablan and Matthew Goldstein; Editing by Doina Chiacu and Ciro Scotti)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date