Soros says Obama victory means "more sensible politics"
By Jennifer Ablan and Matthew Goldstein | November 7, 2012 4:42 PM EST
Soros, who has contributed mightily to Democratic causes and supported many liberal and progressive groups, told Reuters: "I'm delighted that President Obama has won. The American electorate has rejected extremist positions."
In an email exchange, Soros, who was in Budapest, said he hopes "the Republicans in office will make better partners in the coming years."
He noted that cooperation between America's political parties is "urgently" needed to deal with the so-called fiscal cliff - the yearend combination of expiring Bush-era tax reductions and steep cuts in domestic spending.
Soros, 82, rose to fame and fortune two decades ago on a now-historic trade in which he took on the Bank of England and shrewdly wagered on a devaluation of the British pound.
Last year, Soros, who frequently speaks out on world economic events, converted his hedge fund into a "family office," managing money for relatives and friends. He stopped managing money for outside investors.
(Reporting By Jennifer Ablan and Matthew Goldstein; Editing by Doina Chiacu and Ciro Scotti)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS