James Washington Deathbed Confession: Man Admits Murder During Heart Attack, Survives
By Maria Vultaggio | November 7, 2012 12:31 PM EST
James Washington almost got away with murder, WSMV reported.
The Nashville man was on his deathbed when he confessed to murder, and then tried to take it back when he realized he wasn’t going to die.
Washington was in prison for an unrelated charge when he suffered a heart attack. That’s when he admitted to the murder of Joyce Goodener on July 5, 1995, according to WSMV. He stabbed Goodener, lit her on fire and beat her to death with a gray cinder block.
At the time of his confession, Washington didn’t think he would live to have to face the consequences, but it turns out he did.
Prison guard James Tomlinson revealed Washington's confession in court.
"He kind of got as best as he could, motioned, and said, 'I have something to tell you. I have to get something off my conscience and you need to hear this.' He said, 'I killed somebody. I beat her to death,'" Tomlinson told the jury.
The victim's daughter couldn’t believe that the murderer of her mother had confessed.
"I didn't have any trust in the system. All of a sudden, I got this phone call and they said, 'We think we found him,'" Goodener's daughter, Sonya Kimbrell, told WSMV.
Astonishingly, Washington wanted to take back his statement after surviving the heart attack, but it was already too late. He had been found guilty a month ago and now faces a life sentence, the Global Dispatch reported.
Washington isn’t the only murderer to confess on his deathbed, the Huffington Post reported that he joines the likes of Gerladine Kelly and Henry Alexander, but unlike Washington, they died soon after their confessions were made.
Washington was found guilty of murder in the first degree and will spend the rest of his life in jail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS