James Washington Deathbed Confession: Man Admits Murder During Heart Attack, Survives
By Maria Vultaggio | November 7, 2012 12:31 PM EST
James Washington almost got away with murder, WSMV reported.
The Nashville man was on his deathbed when he confessed to murder, and then tried to take it back when he realized he wasn’t going to die.
Washington was in prison for an unrelated charge when he suffered a heart attack. That’s when he admitted to the murder of Joyce Goodener on July 5, 1995, according to WSMV. He stabbed Goodener, lit her on fire and beat her to death with a gray cinder block.
At the time of his confession, Washington didn’t think he would live to have to face the consequences, but it turns out he did.
Prison guard James Tomlinson revealed Washington's confession in court.
"He kind of got as best as he could, motioned, and said, 'I have something to tell you. I have to get something off my conscience and you need to hear this.' He said, 'I killed somebody. I beat her to death,'" Tomlinson told the jury.
The victim's daughter couldn’t believe that the murderer of her mother had confessed.
"I didn't have any trust in the system. All of a sudden, I got this phone call and they said, 'We think we found him,'" Goodener's daughter, Sonya Kimbrell, told WSMV.
Astonishingly, Washington wanted to take back his statement after surviving the heart attack, but it was already too late. He had been found guilty a month ago and now faces a life sentence, the Global Dispatch reported.
Washington isn’t the only murderer to confess on his deathbed, the Huffington Post reported that he joines the likes of Gerladine Kelly and Henry Alexander, but unlike Washington, they died soon after their confessions were made.
Washington was found guilty of murder in the first degree and will spend the rest of his life in jail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James