Microsoft Working on 7-inch Gaming Tablet - Xbox Surface?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | November 7, 2012 10:23 AM EST
Microsoft is working on its own 7-inch gaming tablet - Xbox Surface, according to the latest rumors.
Last June, some of the specifications for an Xbox Surface 7-inch tablet computing device leaked ahead of . However, the company shrugged off the news.
According to The Verge, "Xbox Surface will likely include a custom ARM processor and high-bandwidth RAM designed specifically for gaming tasks. We're told these specifications could be altered to accommodate an unannounced Intel SoC and that the Xbox Surface is being developed independent of specific hardware architecture."
Windows Kernel will probably run the device. Moreover, although features such as messaging and other tablet functions are supported, the focus of the device is for gaming.
There were reports that the Xbox Surface is being developed at Microsoft's offices in Silicon Valley. The software giant recently locked down several Xbox-related buildings, limiting employee access to the company's Interactive Entertainment Business division.
"The lock down is likely related to Microsoft's increased testing of the tablet, providing a way for other parts of the Xbox team to build games and software for the device. Providing the project does not get killed in favor of a full 7-inch Windows tablet, in the same way Microsoft axed Courier, expect to see the Xbox Surface debut ahead of Microsoft's future Xbox console," published by The Verge.
Microsoft has launched its much anticipated Windows 8 operating system and first tablet device, the Surface with Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro versions.
The screens measure in at 10.6-inches with resolutions of 1366 x 768 for the Surface with Windows RT and 1920 x 1080 for the Surface Pro. Despite that win in size, the Surface twins are heavier than the iPad, about 1.5 for the Windows RT version vs. 1.44 pounds for Apple's slate. The Windows 8 Pro model is nearly 2 pounds.
There is no official statement from Microsoft on the rumors about the gaming tablet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight