Election Day 2012: Roseanne Barr Makes Final Push For Votes As Third-Party Candidate
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 7, 2012 9:53 AM EST
In the 2012 election, your choice isn’t just between President Barack Obama and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney: If you live in California, Colorado and Florida, comedian-actress Roseanne Barr is one of the third-party candidates on the ballot.
Barr, 59, is running on the Peace and Freedom Party line. She’s also a write-in candidate in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Barr used Twitter on Election Day to remind people that she’s on the ballot and urged voters to pull the lever for her.
“Undecided?? You still have a few hours to vote for me in these states,” Barr tweeted along with a link to the states where voters are eligible to cast their ballots for her.
According to Barr’s campaign website, legalizing marijuana is her top priority if elected president.
“The legalization of marijuana is the way to end all drug wars and stop the monopoly of the subsidized prison systems. Our government and corporations are getting paid every time someone goes to prison for nonviolent crimes due to marijuana arrests,” she wrote on her website. “Drug laws need to be rewritten to make them sane and people-based. We need to end the prohibition on marijuana and legalize it.”
Barr further expanded on the issue on Election Day through her Twitter account, where she has more than 178,000 followers.
She wrote, “when americans get arrested for a joint, they lose their jobs and their homes. #NOTAJOKE.”
Although her chances of winning are virtually nil because she’s not on the ballot in most states, Barr said she believed her campaign was successful in highlighting issues important to her.
“America will survive this election having become more aware & more involved than ever before, despite a diet of drugs porn/ hormones,” she wrote.
The comedian retweeted what wasn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of her candidacy.
“Please realize that I'd have voted for you if the choice had been between you and Mittens! Love you and your attitude! :),” a follower wrote.
Barr’s running mate on the Peace and Freedom Party line is Cindy Sheehan, who gained national attention for her activism against the war in Iraq, in which her son was killed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown