Nasdaq plans retail price improvement program for early 2013
By John McCrank | November 7, 2012 9:28 AM EST
Nasdaq OMX Group
Nasdaq said its retail price improvement program would be similar to one launched by Big Board operator NYSE Euronext
Exchanges see the sub-penny programs as a way to win back market share from off-exchange venues.
Nasdaq said in the notice it plans make changes to its proprietary data feeds to reflect the new program in the first quarter of 2013. The plan is subject to regulatory approval.
NYSE's retail program required a limited exemption by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission from a rule that bans the sub-penny pricing of stocks on national securities exchanges.
The ban did not apply to non-exchange trading venues, and sub-penny discounts have been widely used by wholesale brokers such as Knight Capital Group
BATS Global Markets, the No. 3 U.S. equities exchange, also announced a retail price improvement program in August.
Wholesalers routinely offer retail price improvement. Their ability to profit on what amounts to regulatory arbitrage has prompted NYSE Chief Executive Duncan Niederauer to speak out on several occasions against what he says is an uneven playing field in U.S. equity markets.
In many cases the discount wholesalers offer on retail orders is just one-hundredth-of-a-cent or less.
If the exchanges are able to execute retail orders at a better price, the wholesalers, which have best execution responsibilities, will have to send more retail orders to the exchanges. The alternative would be for wholesalers to offer better discounts, but that could impact their profitability.
(Reporting By John McCrank; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates