Precious Metals Surge, Gold Jumps Most in 2 Months
By jturbin | November 7, 2012 4:58 AM EST
Gold and silver futures turned sharply higher in mid-day trading amid a broad-based rally on Wall Street. Several financial sources jokingly attributed the rise in precious metals and other markets to Ben Bernanke winning the election. Meanwhile, the rally occurred in spite of stability in the U.S. dollar, which remained lower by only 0.1% against a basket of foreign currencies.
COMEX gold futures climbed as much as $35.20, or 2.1%, to $1,718.40 per ounce while silver futures advanced by $1.08, or 3.5%, to $31.13 per ounce. In doing so, gold futures were on pace for their best day since September 7th, while silver eyed its largest gain since September 13th.
Gold and silver stocks surged higher alongside precious metals, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) added 1.5% to 180.50. Notable XAU components in the black included IAMGOLD (IAG), Randgold Resources (GOLD), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). Shares of IAG rose by 3.1% to $15.15, GOLD by 2.3% to $119.99, and SSRI by 2.5% to $14.57.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com – to see rankings and analysis on the top ten gold and silver stocks)
The broader equity markets posted strong gains as well, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) advancing by 146.98 points, or 1.1%, to 13,259.42 and the S&P 500 Index by 12.73 points, or 0.9%, to 1,429.99. Risk aversion tumbled in the process, as the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) dropped by 5.7% to 17.37.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble