Precious Metals Surge, Gold Jumps Most in 2 Months
By jturbin | November 7, 2012 4:58 AM EST
Gold and silver futures turned sharply higher in mid-day trading amid a broad-based rally on Wall Street. Several financial sources jokingly attributed the rise in precious metals and other markets to Ben Bernanke winning the election. Meanwhile, the rally occurred in spite of stability in the U.S. dollar, which remained lower by only 0.1% against a basket of foreign currencies.
COMEX gold futures climbed as much as $35.20, or 2.1%, to $1,718.40 per ounce while silver futures advanced by $1.08, or 3.5%, to $31.13 per ounce. In doing so, gold futures were on pace for their best day since September 7th, while silver eyed its largest gain since September 13th.
Gold and silver stocks surged higher alongside precious metals, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) added 1.5% to 180.50. Notable XAU components in the black included IAMGOLD (IAG), Randgold Resources (GOLD), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). Shares of IAG rose by 3.1% to $15.15, GOLD by 2.3% to $119.99, and SSRI by 2.5% to $14.57.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com – to see rankings and analysis on the top ten gold and silver stocks)
The broader equity markets posted strong gains as well, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) advancing by 146.98 points, or 1.1%, to 13,259.42 and the S&P 500 Index by 12.73 points, or 0.9%, to 1,429.99. Risk aversion tumbled in the process, as the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) dropped by 5.7% to 17.37.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell