Precious Metals Surge, Gold Jumps Most in 2 Months
By jturbin | November 7, 2012 4:58 AM EST
Gold and silver futures turned sharply higher in mid-day trading amid a broad-based rally on Wall Street. Several financial sources jokingly attributed the rise in precious metals and other markets to Ben Bernanke winning the election. Meanwhile, the rally occurred in spite of stability in the U.S. dollar, which remained lower by only 0.1% against a basket of foreign currencies.
COMEX gold futures climbed as much as $35.20, or 2.1%, to $1,718.40 per ounce while silver futures advanced by $1.08, or 3.5%, to $31.13 per ounce. In doing so, gold futures were on pace for their best day since September 7th, while silver eyed its largest gain since September 13th.
Gold and silver stocks surged higher alongside precious metals, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) added 1.5% to 180.50. Notable XAU components in the black included IAMGOLD (IAG), Randgold Resources (GOLD), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). Shares of IAG rose by 3.1% to $15.15, GOLD by 2.3% to $119.99, and SSRI by 2.5% to $14.57.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com – to see rankings and analysis on the top ten gold and silver stocks)
The broader equity markets posted strong gains as well, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) advancing by 146.98 points, or 1.1%, to 13,259.42 and the S&P 500 Index by 12.73 points, or 0.9%, to 1,429.99. Risk aversion tumbled in the process, as the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) dropped by 5.7% to 17.37.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display