NYC Subways, Restoration Continues on G and L lines, A and C Lines Fully Functional
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 7, 2012 1:42 AM EST
The New York City subway has been getting back online steadily since hurricane Sandy shut down the system on Oct. 28.
Most lines are fully functional, but there are still some that require water pumping, the clearing of debris and repairs, including the G and L lines.
New York Observer reports that the Newtown Creek tunnel of the G line has been pumped, but rail signals need to be repaired and tested before the train is allowed to run again.
The MTA quickly got most trains back online quickly after the hurricane. The 2/3 and 4/5/6 lines were among the first to be running at full capacity. The Observer suggests that these lines were restored first because they received the least flooding, and because they carry the most people.
The L line reportedly received the most floods, and thus was left last for pumping, as was the G line.
However; according to the MTA subway recovery map, as of Nov. 6, the L line is running locally between Broadway Junction Station and Rockaway Parkway Station. The G line remains completely suspended.
The MTA says it is working to get the lines fully functional as soon as possible.
“The MTA is very much aware of the difficult commute for our customers who usually take the G and L trains, as well as the crowding at the Marcy Avenue station,” MTA spokesman Adam Lisberg told the Observer in an email.
“Getting the G and L running again is our highest priority, and crews are working around the clock on both.”
In the mean while, Brooklyn commuters can take the B62 into Manhattan. The Observer suggests taking the B43 into Queens and then the No. 7 train to Midtown as an alternative.
As of Nov. 6, service to the A line has been restored between 168th Street and Inwood-207th St., making the Inwood to Lefferts Blvd. line of the A fully functional, and subsequently the C line fully functional from 168th Street to Euclid Ave.
There remains no A service to Rockaway Boulevard Station and the Rockaways.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features