Greek bailout deal to be decided in "due time"-Van Rompuy
November 6, 2012 11:28 PM EST
A deal to keep Greece afloat by providing more bailout money will be agreed in "due time" once a report on the country is finalised by the troika of the IMF, the European Commission and the European Central Bank, European Council President Herman van Rompuy said on Tuesday.
A senior EU official told Reuters on Monday that a deal was unlikely to be struck next week when euro zone finance ministers meet in Brussels, on November 12.
"We need more time to reach agreements on privatisation law," Van Rompuy told reporters after a summit of Asian and European leaders in Laos. "In any case, the Europe group meeting on 12 November remains on the agenda."
The senior official told Reuters the euro zone still had to find a formula to make Greek debt sustainable and that several countries, including Germany, had to discuss the matter with their parliaments.
Athens also needs to push through spending cuts and tax measures worth 13.5 billion euros ($17.5 billion) as well as a raft of economic reforms that will satisfy EU and IMF lenders but anger the Greek population.
"The decision on this will be taken by the Europe group after analysis of the troika report, which is in the stage of finalisation in Athens," Van Rompuy added.
He urged the Greek government and leading political parties to decide on what is needed to reach an agreement with the troika, adding "I'm quite sure this will be done in due time".
(Reporting by Martin Petty and Paul Carsten; Writing by Stuart Grudgings; Editing by Robert Birsel)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers