Romania's opposition pledges tax cut to woo voters
November 6, 2012 10:28 PM EST
Romania's new alliance of centre-right political parties is promising to cut the single corporate and personal income tax rate if it wins next month's election, saying it wants to attract more foreign investment to the European Union's second-poorest country.
The Alliance for the Romanian Right (ARD) has poll ratings of about 20 percent but could become part of a coalition if the ruling Social Liberal Union (USL) fails to achieve an outright majority on December 9.
The ARD is dominated by the Democrat-Liberal Party (PDL), which was in government until April but remains unpopular for enforcing austerity measures taken to comply with its 5 billion-euro IMF-led aid deal, including pay cuts and a hike in sales taxes.
The ARD pledged to cut the single rate tax to 12 percent, from the current 16 percent, and also lower employers' social contributions and raise the minimum wage.
"This means that more money will come to Romania, more foreign investment and Romanian companies will have more money for growth," the party said in a statement on Tuesday.
The governing USL has poll ratings of just over 50 percent but if it falls short of a majority President Traian Basescu could nominate a political ally from the ARD as prime minister to form a coalition.
The USL tried and failed to remove Basescu from office in the summer in a dispute which drew sharp criticism from the European Union and United States, which said the government was undermining the rule of law.
The ARD also said it would raise the minimum wage from 700 lei ($200) a month to 850 in 2013 and 1,000 in 2015 and cut companies' social security contributions by 5 percent, from the current level of about 30 percent, from 2015.
($1 = 3.5399 Romanian lei)
(Reporting by Sam Cage; Editing by Greg Mahlich)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports