AUD/USD RBA keeps Key interest rate at 3.25%
November 6, 2012 7:59 PM EST
Australia’s central bank kept interest rates unchanged at 3.25% Tuesday amid a nascent improvement in China’s economy, the country’s biggest trade partner, and accelerating inflation pressures at home.
Most economists had expected a quarter-point cut to 3.0% due to concern over growth in Australia’s resource-rich economy. Falling prices for industrial commodities such as iron ore and coal last month prompted the Australian government to lower its expectations for growth over the coming year, and the central bank has signaled it may make even steeper downgrades to its forecasts in a policy statement due on 9 November.
Chinese manufacturing grew for the 1st time in 3 months in October to above the threshold that signals expansion, raising hopes the world’s 2nd-largest economy is regaining momentum.
Australian inflation in Q-3 was slightly higher than expected, warranting some caution from the RBA, which has agreed to keep inflation in a 2% to 3% band. The central bank said Tuesday it still expects inflation to be ” consistent with the target” over the next 1 or 2 yrs.
The RBA is increasingly betting that as a mining-investment boom fades next year, other areas of the economy such as housing will help keep growth on track.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr. writes and publishes The Red Roadmaster’s Technical Report on the US Major Market Indices, a weekly, highly-regarded financial market letter, read by opinion makers, business leaders and organizations around the world.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr has studied the global financial and stock markets since 1984, following a successful business career that included investment banking, and market and business analysis. He is a specialist in equities/commodities, and an accomplished chart reader who advises technicians with regard to Major Indices Resistance/Support Levels.
Copyright Live Trading News All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6