AUD/USD RBA keeps Key interest rate at 3.25%
November 6, 2012 7:59 PM EST
Australia’s central bank kept interest rates unchanged at 3.25% Tuesday amid a nascent improvement in China’s economy, the country’s biggest trade partner, and accelerating inflation pressures at home.
Most economists had expected a quarter-point cut to 3.0% due to concern over growth in Australia’s resource-rich economy. Falling prices for industrial commodities such as iron ore and coal last month prompted the Australian government to lower its expectations for growth over the coming year, and the central bank has signaled it may make even steeper downgrades to its forecasts in a policy statement due on 9 November.
Chinese manufacturing grew for the 1st time in 3 months in October to above the threshold that signals expansion, raising hopes the world’s 2nd-largest economy is regaining momentum.
Australian inflation in Q-3 was slightly higher than expected, warranting some caution from the RBA, which has agreed to keep inflation in a 2% to 3% band. The central bank said Tuesday it still expects inflation to be ” consistent with the target” over the next 1 or 2 yrs.
The RBA is increasingly betting that as a mining-investment boom fades next year, other areas of the economy such as housing will help keep growth on track.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr. writes and publishes The Red Roadmaster’s Technical Report on the US Major Market Indices, a weekly, highly-regarded financial market letter, read by opinion makers, business leaders and organizations around the world.
Paul A. Ebeling, Jnr has studied the global financial and stock markets since 1984, following a successful business career that included investment banking, and market and business analysis. He is a specialist in equities/commodities, and an accomplished chart reader who advises technicians with regard to Major Indices Resistance/Support Levels.
Copyright Live Trading News All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown