Reserve Bank of Australia Keeps 3.25% Interest Rate Unchanged
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 6, 2012 4:39 PM EST
The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has kept its interest rate unchanged, contrary to analysts' expectations, suggesting that the global economy is showing positive signs.
The rate remains at 3.25 percent. The Wall Street Journal had reported that the rate might be lowered to 3 percent, based on a poll of 15 economists.
"At today's meeting, with prices data slightly higher than expected and recent information on the world economy slightly more positive, the board judged that the stance of monetary policy was appropriate for the time being," central bank governor Glenn Stevens said in a statement.
He noted that recent data from the United States and China suggested that economic growth in the two countries is stabilising.
However, global growth could still remain below average mainly due to the debt crisis in Europe, where the economy continues to contract. The moderate rate of Chinese expansion, allied to European concerns, have also dampened economic sentiments across Asia, Stevens added.
RBA had slashed its key rate by one percent from May to October in a bid to spur employment in sectors beyond mining, such as construction. In October alone, the central bank cut the rate by 25 basis points.
"Global risks have become more evenly balanced," Paul Brennan, a senior economist at Citigroup Inc in Sydney, told Bloomberg before the release.
The bank's October move "was an insurance rate cut to head off the potential for these global developments to place some headwinds against domestic growth at a time when it was expected that Chinese growth could continue to decelerate, dragging commodity prices lower."
The Australian dollar strengthened following the decision, trading at $1.0402 from $1.0367 before the announcement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports