Green Moon Bags 2012 Melbourne Cup; 4th Win for Owner Lloyd Williams (with Full Race Video)
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 6, 2012 3:58 PM EST
English import Green Moon won on Tuesday the 2012 Melbourne Cup at the Flemington Racecourse, giving horse owner Lloyd Williams his fourth win. Ridden by jockey Brett Prebble, who flew from Hong Kong for the race, Green Moon dashed to lead in the final 400 metres and beat favourites Fiorente and Jakkalberry.
With its win, Green Moon made up for its 7th place finish in October's Cox Plate where he was favourite. Previous winners and favourites Americain and Dunaden finished well back.
"I was very confident they weren't going to pick him up - he ran all the way through to the wire," The Australian Financial Review quoted Mr Prebble.
Prior to the race, Mr Williams was quite sure of the high chances of Green Moon's winning.
"I wasn't terribly sure whether he could win the Cox Plate. He hasn't really stepped up to weight for age . . . set weights and penalties is a hell of a lot different to weight for age. I think there's probably 10 chances out of the 24 (runners). Back to 53.5kg (for Green Moon), it's a winning weight. I think the winner is going to come out of the 53kg-54-kg range," Mr Williams was quoted by RSN radio prior to the race.
Green Moon was trained in Australia for the two-mile race by Robert Hickmott, but was formerly trained in Britain by Harry Dunlop.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks