Green Moon Bags 2012 Melbourne Cup; 4th Win for Owner Lloyd Williams (with Full Race Video)
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 6, 2012 3:58 PM EST
English import Green Moon won on Tuesday the 2012 Melbourne Cup at the Flemington Racecourse, giving horse owner Lloyd Williams his fourth win. Ridden by jockey Brett Prebble, who flew from Hong Kong for the race, Green Moon dashed to lead in the final 400 metres and beat favourites Fiorente and Jakkalberry.
With its win, Green Moon made up for its 7th place finish in October's Cox Plate where he was favourite. Previous winners and favourites Americain and Dunaden finished well back.
"I was very confident they weren't going to pick him up - he ran all the way through to the wire," The Australian Financial Review quoted Mr Prebble.
Prior to the race, Mr Williams was quite sure of the high chances of Green Moon's winning.
"I wasn't terribly sure whether he could win the Cox Plate. He hasn't really stepped up to weight for age . . . set weights and penalties is a hell of a lot different to weight for age. I think there's probably 10 chances out of the 24 (runners). Back to 53.5kg (for Green Moon), it's a winning weight. I think the winner is going to come out of the 53kg-54-kg range," Mr Williams was quoted by RSN radio prior to the race.
Green Moon was trained in Australia for the two-mile race by Robert Hickmott, but was formerly trained in Britain by Harry Dunlop.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’