Green Moon Bags 2012 Melbourne Cup; 4th Win for Owner Lloyd Williams (with Full Race Video)
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 6, 2012 3:58 PM EST
English import Green Moon won on Tuesday the 2012 Melbourne Cup at the Flemington Racecourse, giving horse owner Lloyd Williams his fourth win. Ridden by jockey Brett Prebble, who flew from Hong Kong for the race, Green Moon dashed to lead in the final 400 metres and beat favourites Fiorente and Jakkalberry.
With its win, Green Moon made up for its 7th place finish in October's Cox Plate where he was favourite. Previous winners and favourites Americain and Dunaden finished well back.
"I was very confident they weren't going to pick him up - he ran all the way through to the wire," The Australian Financial Review quoted Mr Prebble.
Prior to the race, Mr Williams was quite sure of the high chances of Green Moon's winning.
"I wasn't terribly sure whether he could win the Cox Plate. He hasn't really stepped up to weight for age . . . set weights and penalties is a hell of a lot different to weight for age. I think there's probably 10 chances out of the 24 (runners). Back to 53.5kg (for Green Moon), it's a winning weight. I think the winner is going to come out of the 53kg-54-kg range," Mr Williams was quoted by RSN radio prior to the race.
Green Moon was trained in Australia for the two-mile race by Robert Hickmott, but was formerly trained in Britain by Harry Dunlop.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan