Green Moon Bags 2012 Melbourne Cup; 4th Win for Owner Lloyd Williams (with Full Race Video)
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 6, 2012 3:58 PM EST
English import Green Moon won on Tuesday the 2012 Melbourne Cup at the Flemington Racecourse, giving horse owner Lloyd Williams his fourth win. Ridden by jockey Brett Prebble, who flew from Hong Kong for the race, Green Moon dashed to lead in the final 400 metres and beat favourites Fiorente and Jakkalberry.
With its win, Green Moon made up for its 7th place finish in October's Cox Plate where he was favourite. Previous winners and favourites Americain and Dunaden finished well back.
"I was very confident they weren't going to pick him up - he ran all the way through to the wire," The Australian Financial Review quoted Mr Prebble.
Prior to the race, Mr Williams was quite sure of the high chances of Green Moon's winning.
"I wasn't terribly sure whether he could win the Cox Plate. He hasn't really stepped up to weight for age . . . set weights and penalties is a hell of a lot different to weight for age. I think there's probably 10 chances out of the 24 (runners). Back to 53.5kg (for Green Moon), it's a winning weight. I think the winner is going to come out of the 53kg-54-kg range," Mr Williams was quoted by RSN radio prior to the race.
Green Moon was trained in Australia for the two-mile race by Robert Hickmott, but was formerly trained in Britain by Harry Dunlop.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family