Green Moon Bags 2012 Melbourne Cup; 4th Win for Owner Lloyd Williams (with Full Race Video)
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 6, 2012 3:58 PM EST
English import Green Moon won on Tuesday the 2012 Melbourne Cup at the Flemington Racecourse, giving horse owner Lloyd Williams his fourth win. Ridden by jockey Brett Prebble, who flew from Hong Kong for the race, Green Moon dashed to lead in the final 400 metres and beat favourites Fiorente and Jakkalberry.
With its win, Green Moon made up for its 7th place finish in October's Cox Plate where he was favourite. Previous winners and favourites Americain and Dunaden finished well back.
"I was very confident they weren't going to pick him up - he ran all the way through to the wire," The Australian Financial Review quoted Mr Prebble.
Prior to the race, Mr Williams was quite sure of the high chances of Green Moon's winning.
"I wasn't terribly sure whether he could win the Cox Plate. He hasn't really stepped up to weight for age . . . set weights and penalties is a hell of a lot different to weight for age. I think there's probably 10 chances out of the 24 (runners). Back to 53.5kg (for Green Moon), it's a winning weight. I think the winner is going to come out of the 53kg-54-kg range," Mr Williams was quoted by RSN radio prior to the race.
Green Moon was trained in Australia for the two-mile race by Robert Hickmott, but was formerly trained in Britain by Harry Dunlop.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales