Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/6/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 6, 2012 2:24 PM EST
Local investors are hedging their bets today, ahead of arguably one of the busiest days of the year. At 3.15pm AEDT the "race that stops the nation" will see millions of Australians leave their desks to watch the Melbourne Cup, while tonight in the US, the hotly contested 2012 Presidential Election gets underway. Also of significance to market watchers, is this afternoon's interest rate decision at 2.30pm AEDT. Money markets are now factoring in just a 47pct chance that rates will be cut by 0.25 basis points to 3pct.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is up 11.2pts or 0.2pct to 4504.8.
Australia's corporate bond market appears to be coming to life. Just a day after speculation Telstra (TLS) is looking to raise $500 million by tapping the local bond market, there's talk Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL) is planning a similar issue. The fizzy drinks maker reportedly wants to raise at least $100 million through an offer of new seven year notes. CCL shares are up 1.7pct mid-session to $13.29 while TLS is firmer at $4.10.
Financial stocks are once again well supported. Westpac (WBC) is adding to yesterday's gains, up a further 1.2pct to $25.65. WBC yesterday announced a $6.6 billion cash profit, above expectations. The bank's share price has risen more than 25pct year to date.
Retail stocks continue to be sold down. David Jones (DJS), which plunged more than 4pct during yesterday's trade, is down another 0.8pct to $2.47 while shares in discount retailer JB Hi-FI (JBH) are lower by 1.3pct to $9.93.
The Australian dollar is fairly steady against the greenback ahead of this afternoon's rate decision. At 12.15pm AEDT the Aussie is worth US103.69c, €81.1c and £0.6492.
So far at lunch, 582 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.2 billion. 337 are up, 348 are down and 325 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown