Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/6/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 6, 2012 2:24 PM EST
Local investors are hedging their bets today, ahead of arguably one of the busiest days of the year. At 3.15pm AEDT the "race that stops the nation" will see millions of Australians leave their desks to watch the Melbourne Cup, while tonight in the US, the hotly contested 2012 Presidential Election gets underway. Also of significance to market watchers, is this afternoon's interest rate decision at 2.30pm AEDT. Money markets are now factoring in just a 47pct chance that rates will be cut by 0.25 basis points to 3pct.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is up 11.2pts or 0.2pct to 4504.8.
Australia's corporate bond market appears to be coming to life. Just a day after speculation Telstra (TLS) is looking to raise $500 million by tapping the local bond market, there's talk Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL) is planning a similar issue. The fizzy drinks maker reportedly wants to raise at least $100 million through an offer of new seven year notes. CCL shares are up 1.7pct mid-session to $13.29 while TLS is firmer at $4.10.
Financial stocks are once again well supported. Westpac (WBC) is adding to yesterday's gains, up a further 1.2pct to $25.65. WBC yesterday announced a $6.6 billion cash profit, above expectations. The bank's share price has risen more than 25pct year to date.
Retail stocks continue to be sold down. David Jones (DJS), which plunged more than 4pct during yesterday's trade, is down another 0.8pct to $2.47 while shares in discount retailer JB Hi-FI (JBH) are lower by 1.3pct to $9.93.
The Australian dollar is fairly steady against the greenback ahead of this afternoon's rate decision. At 12.15pm AEDT the Aussie is worth US103.69c, €81.1c and £0.6492.
So far at lunch, 582 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.2 billion. 337 are up, 348 are down and 325 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 18, 2014
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best