Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/6/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 6, 2012 2:24 PM EST
Local investors are hedging their bets today, ahead of arguably one of the busiest days of the year. At 3.15pm AEDT the "race that stops the nation" will see millions of Australians leave their desks to watch the Melbourne Cup, while tonight in the US, the hotly contested 2012 Presidential Election gets underway. Also of significance to market watchers, is this afternoon's interest rate decision at 2.30pm AEDT. Money markets are now factoring in just a 47pct chance that rates will be cut by 0.25 basis points to 3pct.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is up 11.2pts or 0.2pct to 4504.8.
Australia's corporate bond market appears to be coming to life. Just a day after speculation Telstra (TLS) is looking to raise $500 million by tapping the local bond market, there's talk Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL) is planning a similar issue. The fizzy drinks maker reportedly wants to raise at least $100 million through an offer of new seven year notes. CCL shares are up 1.7pct mid-session to $13.29 while TLS is firmer at $4.10.
Financial stocks are once again well supported. Westpac (WBC) is adding to yesterday's gains, up a further 1.2pct to $25.65. WBC yesterday announced a $6.6 billion cash profit, above expectations. The bank's share price has risen more than 25pct year to date.
Retail stocks continue to be sold down. David Jones (DJS), which plunged more than 4pct during yesterday's trade, is down another 0.8pct to $2.47 while shares in discount retailer JB Hi-FI (JBH) are lower by 1.3pct to $9.93.
The Australian dollar is fairly steady against the greenback ahead of this afternoon's rate decision. At 12.15pm AEDT the Aussie is worth US103.69c, €81.1c and £0.6492.
So far at lunch, 582 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.2 billion. 337 are up, 348 are down and 325 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales