EUR/USD Cracks the 1.28 Handle, Challenging Consolidation Support
By Fan Yang | November 5, 2012 11:38 PM EST
EUR/USD Daily Chart 11/5/2012 7:15AM EDT
Consolidation: The EUR/USD has been in consolidation since September, when it found resistance at 1.3170. Since then, we have basically completed an ABC correction as we begin this week of trading (11/5). Although recent price action has been bearish in the last couple of weeks, the picture in the daily chart is still within the context of consolidation. Note the RSI reading is at 40. A break below 40 will be needed to reflect a loss of bullish or consolidation momentum. Although the 1.28 psychological and previous support pivot is broken, there is a last line of defense at 1.2745.
Breakdown: A break below 1.2745, with the daily RSI below 40 for me would signal a break down of the consolidation, and expose the 2012-low near 1.2042. The 50% retracement target is at 1.2617, and the 61.8% is at 1.2487. There is also a pivot area around 1.2450.
Throwback: The 4H chart shows a EUR/USD that is developing bearish momentum as the RSI tags 30 but holds under 60. It is under 30 again, which is a good sign for overall bearish momentum, but might be a sign of oversold condition in the near-term for the 11/5 US session. A hold of the RSI under 60, preferably under 50 will confirm the bearish breakout scenario. However, a throwback above 1.2880 with the RSI above 60 makes the bearish outlook unclear. A break back above 1.30 definitely shelves the bearish outlook, and refocuses on the resistance part of the consolidation noted on the daily chart.
EUR/USD 4H Chart 11/5/2012 7:20AM EDT
Fan Yang CMT is a forex trader, analyst, educator and Chief Technical Strategist for FXTimes – provider of Forex News, Analysis, Education, Videos, Charts, and other trading resources.
Information and opinions contained in this report are for educational purposes only and do not constitute an investment advice. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness. FXTimes will not accept liability for any loss of profit or damage which may arise directly, indirectly or consequently from use of or reliance on the trading set-ups or any accompanying chart analysis.
Copyright FX Times All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports