Ferguson And Rooney Send Warning Over Goal Difference
By Vanessa Keller | November 5, 2012 11:39 PM EST
Sir Alex Ferguson and Wayne Rooney have both called on Manchester United to be more ruthless in their finishing, after the side came away with a 2-1 win over Arsenal which could have been a much more one-sided affair.
After Jack Wilshere was sent off, the Gunners looked even worse for wear than they had over the course of the match, and with the north London side getting only three chances on target, a scoreline of 2-1 was rather flattering as Santi Cazorla scored in the dying minutes.
Ferguson has been very wary over how many goals United have scored this season, and after their loss of the Premier League title in their coming down to the final game, the Scot wants to make sure that the club are on top in terms of both points and goal difference.
"We lost [the title] on goal difference last season and I don't want to see that again," Ferguson told BBC Sport. "I'm disappointed with our inability to hammer home an advantage - we should have won by four or five."
Rooney reiterated the point that United need to have a higher goal ratio in each match, with the striker having scored four times in the last 12 matches.
"I think we had plenty of chances but we should be taking care of games," he explained to the Manchester Evening News.
"We had a lot of chances late doors, especially when they were down to 10 men to kill the game off and we couldn't.
"That could cost us in the future so we need to make sure we're more clinical and finish the games off."
United are currently just one point clear of second-placed Chelsea in the table, and are equal on goal difference with their title rivals.
While cross-town rivals Manchester City had been particularly dangerous in front of the net last season, the side are now also struggling in terms of scoring, and at the weekend Roberto Mancini was disappointed once more with his strikers after a 0-0 draw with West Ham.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones