Ferguson And Rooney Send Warning Over Goal Difference
By Vanessa Keller | November 5, 2012 11:39 PM EST
Sir Alex Ferguson and Wayne Rooney have both called on Manchester United to be more ruthless in their finishing, after the side came away with a 2-1 win over Arsenal which could have been a much more one-sided affair.
After Jack Wilshere was sent off, the Gunners looked even worse for wear than they had over the course of the match, and with the north London side getting only three chances on target, a scoreline of 2-1 was rather flattering as Santi Cazorla scored in the dying minutes.
Ferguson has been very wary over how many goals United have scored this season, and after their loss of the Premier League title in their coming down to the final game, the Scot wants to make sure that the club are on top in terms of both points and goal difference.
"We lost [the title] on goal difference last season and I don't want to see that again," Ferguson told BBC Sport. "I'm disappointed with our inability to hammer home an advantage - we should have won by four or five."
Rooney reiterated the point that United need to have a higher goal ratio in each match, with the striker having scored four times in the last 12 matches.
"I think we had plenty of chances but we should be taking care of games," he explained to the Manchester Evening News.
"We had a lot of chances late doors, especially when they were down to 10 men to kill the game off and we couldn't.
"That could cost us in the future so we need to make sure we're more clinical and finish the games off."
United are currently just one point clear of second-placed Chelsea in the table, and are equal on goal difference with their title rivals.
While cross-town rivals Manchester City had been particularly dangerous in front of the net last season, the side are now also struggling in terms of scoring, and at the weekend Roberto Mancini was disappointed once more with his strikers after a 0-0 draw with West Ham.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time