Ferguson And Rooney Send Warning Over Goal Difference
By Vanessa Keller | November 5, 2012 11:39 PM EST
Sir Alex Ferguson and Wayne Rooney have both called on Manchester United to be more ruthless in their finishing, after the side came away with a 2-1 win over Arsenal which could have been a much more one-sided affair.
After Jack Wilshere was sent off, the Gunners looked even worse for wear than they had over the course of the match, and with the north London side getting only three chances on target, a scoreline of 2-1 was rather flattering as Santi Cazorla scored in the dying minutes.
Ferguson has been very wary over how many goals United have scored this season, and after their loss of the Premier League title in their coming down to the final game, the Scot wants to make sure that the club are on top in terms of both points and goal difference.
"We lost [the title] on goal difference last season and I don't want to see that again," Ferguson told BBC Sport. "I'm disappointed with our inability to hammer home an advantage - we should have won by four or five."
Rooney reiterated the point that United need to have a higher goal ratio in each match, with the striker having scored four times in the last 12 matches.
"I think we had plenty of chances but we should be taking care of games," he explained to the Manchester Evening News.
"We had a lot of chances late doors, especially when they were down to 10 men to kill the game off and we couldn't.
"That could cost us in the future so we need to make sure we're more clinical and finish the games off."
United are currently just one point clear of second-placed Chelsea in the table, and are equal on goal difference with their title rivals.
While cross-town rivals Manchester City had been particularly dangerous in front of the net last season, the side are now also struggling in terms of scoring, and at the weekend Roberto Mancini was disappointed once more with his strikers after a 0-0 draw with West Ham.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup