Superstorm Sandy: 40,000 People in New York Need Shelter
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 5, 2012 5:08 PM EST
Nearly 40,000 people are in dire need of shelter in New York City alone due to the devastation caused by Superstorm Sandy, says the city's mayor Michael Bloomberg.
The authorities are looking for flats and hotel rooms to accommodate the homeless people while the temperature is near freezing point. The temperature is expected to dip lower in the coming days.
"We don't have a lot of empty housing in this city. It's a problem to find housing. We're not going to let anybody go sleeping in the street. But it's a challenge and we're working on this as fast as we can," said Bloomberg.
Addressing a joint news conference with Governor of New York State Andrew Cuomo and US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Bloomberg said although the 40,000 figure was kept at the highest, a realistic assessment of the homeless would be around 20,000
Cuomo said people are in homes that are uninhabitable as the heating systems in them do not work.
The authorities urged the people to leave houses without heating. "You can die from being cold. You can die from fires started when you use candles or stoves to heat your apartment. If you don't know where to go, stop a cop on the street and say, please tell me where to go. They'll help you. But we have to make sure that you are safe for a few days and that you have food and water for a few days," said Bloomberg.
Blankets are also being distributed to those who insist on staying inside their homes without heating.
The situation is also likely to affect the presidential election on 6 November as dozens of polling stations have been affected.
Cuomo said the public transport would be under pressure as people are on their way back to normal life. Fuel shortages are being addressed.
Even as the region is limping back, it is bracing for the Nor'easter storm which is expected to strike later this week with heavy rain and speedy winds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares