Superstorm Sandy: 40,000 People in New York Need Shelter
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 5, 2012 5:08 PM EST
Nearly 40,000 people are in dire need of shelter in New York City alone due to the devastation caused by Superstorm Sandy, says the city's mayor Michael Bloomberg.
The authorities are looking for flats and hotel rooms to accommodate the homeless people while the temperature is near freezing point. The temperature is expected to dip lower in the coming days.
"We don't have a lot of empty housing in this city. It's a problem to find housing. We're not going to let anybody go sleeping in the street. But it's a challenge and we're working on this as fast as we can," said Bloomberg.
Addressing a joint news conference with Governor of New York State Andrew Cuomo and US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Bloomberg said although the 40,000 figure was kept at the highest, a realistic assessment of the homeless would be around 20,000
Cuomo said people are in homes that are uninhabitable as the heating systems in them do not work.
The authorities urged the people to leave houses without heating. "You can die from being cold. You can die from fires started when you use candles or stoves to heat your apartment. If you don't know where to go, stop a cop on the street and say, please tell me where to go. They'll help you. But we have to make sure that you are safe for a few days and that you have food and water for a few days," said Bloomberg.
Blankets are also being distributed to those who insist on staying inside their homes without heating.
The situation is also likely to affect the presidential election on 6 November as dozens of polling stations have been affected.
Cuomo said the public transport would be under pressure as people are on their way back to normal life. Fuel shortages are being addressed.
Even as the region is limping back, it is bracing for the Nor'easter storm which is expected to strike later this week with heavy rain and speedy winds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- High School Student Stabbed To Death In Toronto
- Woman With Three Breasts Is Reportedly A Fake: Jasmine Tridevil’s Real Identity Revealed
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L