Superstorm Sandy: 40,000 People in New York Need Shelter
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 5, 2012 5:08 PM EST
Nearly 40,000 people are in dire need of shelter in New York City alone due to the devastation caused by Superstorm Sandy, says the city's mayor Michael Bloomberg.
The authorities are looking for flats and hotel rooms to accommodate the homeless people while the temperature is near freezing point. The temperature is expected to dip lower in the coming days.
"We don't have a lot of empty housing in this city. It's a problem to find housing. We're not going to let anybody go sleeping in the street. But it's a challenge and we're working on this as fast as we can," said Bloomberg.
Addressing a joint news conference with Governor of New York State Andrew Cuomo and US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Bloomberg said although the 40,000 figure was kept at the highest, a realistic assessment of the homeless would be around 20,000
Cuomo said people are in homes that are uninhabitable as the heating systems in them do not work.
The authorities urged the people to leave houses without heating. "You can die from being cold. You can die from fires started when you use candles or stoves to heat your apartment. If you don't know where to go, stop a cop on the street and say, please tell me where to go. They'll help you. But we have to make sure that you are safe for a few days and that you have food and water for a few days," said Bloomberg.
Blankets are also being distributed to those who insist on staying inside their homes without heating.
The situation is also likely to affect the presidential election on 6 November as dozens of polling stations have been affected.
Cuomo said the public transport would be under pressure as people are on their way back to normal life. Fuel shortages are being addressed.
Even as the region is limping back, it is bracing for the Nor'easter storm which is expected to strike later this week with heavy rain and speedy winds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]