Drunken Blackbirds in England Die Due to Fermented Berries
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 5, 2012 10:31 AM EST
A dozen young blackbirds were found dead at a school playground in Cumbria, England. An investigation indicated that the avian creatures suffered from alcohol poisoning due the birds eating fermented berries.
Most of the birds have trauma injuries sustained in flight caused by intoxication. A post-mortem analysis by the Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency disclosed that one of the winged creatures had a large amount of pure alcohol or ethanol in its liver.
The researchers said the blackbirds ate berries from a nearby rowan tree. They said that berries found on the ground were damaged and vulnerable to yeast infestation which caused fermentation, the chemical process of sugar breaking down into alcohol, and eventually it led to alcohol production.
One young blackbird which survived had symptoms of drunkenness. The researchers observed the creature pressing its wings into the ground to steady itself and trying to stay upright by leaning against the walks of an enclosure where it was kept for recovery. It was released after two weeks.
The scientists ruled out foul play or ailments such as bird flu.
Tim Harrison, development officer of the British Trust for Ornithology's Garden Birdwatch, told BBC that generally, birds with a lot of fruit in their diet are more efficient at metabolising alcohol and better adapted at eating fruit with higher alcohol concentrations. However, he said there are anecdotal reports of birds that act drunk, although these are very rare instances.
A similar incident was recorded in 199 when a group of redwings fed on holly berries that were fermented after a frost. Gizzard samples taken from the redwings yielded high levels of alcohol content.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Kylie Jenner Wants To Quit Modelling To Be A Singer As She Thinks She Is The 'New Katy Perry'; Reasons Why People Switch Careers
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone