100 UFOs Sighted in Jammu and Kashmir, Says Indian Army
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 3, 2012 8:41 PM EST
The ITBP has sent a report to its Delhi headquarters and the Prime Minister's Office detailing the UFO sightings, said India Today
The report described the mysterious entities as "Unidentified Luminous Objects" and strongly ruled out the possibility of them being aerial vehicles (UAVS), drones or even low earth-orbiting satellites.
"These were not unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVS), drones or even low earth-orbiting satellites," say army officials who have studied the hazy photographs taken by ITBP, the India Today report said.
The army, on its part, made several efforts to identify the airborne objects. It has recorded the sightings of drones separately.
Unidentified Flying Objects have been seen over the region of Ladakh in the past too. But the continual sighting of the celestial objects forced the army to conduct a detailed study in order to understand the phenomena.
An army team tried to detect the object in early September with a mobile ground-based radar unit and a spectrum analyzer, but the effort ended in vain as the radar failed to identify the object.
Later in the same month, a group of astronomers from the Indian Astronomical Observatory, who observed the phenomena for three days, asserted the flying objects were "non celestial". A senior army official said, "Something is clearly wrong, if our combined scientific resources can't explain the phenomena."
In 2003, 14 Corps from the same region reported sightings of non-celestial objects but the report was rejected by the then army chief, General N C Vij, calling them hallucinations.
Though, there have been many reports of UFO sightings in India, in most cases this did not lead to further explorations. In 2004, an expedition led by Anil Kulkarni of the ISRO's Space Applications Centre in Ahmedabad, captured a robot-like object from the Lahaul-Spiti region of Himachal Pradesh. But this too has remained a mystery with no further explanations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories