100 UFOs Sighted in Jammu and Kashmir, Says Indian Army
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 3, 2012 8:41 PM EST
The ITBP has sent a report to its Delhi headquarters and the Prime Minister's Office detailing the UFO sightings, said India Today
The report described the mysterious entities as "Unidentified Luminous Objects" and strongly ruled out the possibility of them being aerial vehicles (UAVS), drones or even low earth-orbiting satellites.
"These were not unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVS), drones or even low earth-orbiting satellites," say army officials who have studied the hazy photographs taken by ITBP, the India Today report said.
The army, on its part, made several efforts to identify the airborne objects. It has recorded the sightings of drones separately.
Unidentified Flying Objects have been seen over the region of Ladakh in the past too. But the continual sighting of the celestial objects forced the army to conduct a detailed study in order to understand the phenomena.
An army team tried to detect the object in early September with a mobile ground-based radar unit and a spectrum analyzer, but the effort ended in vain as the radar failed to identify the object.
Later in the same month, a group of astronomers from the Indian Astronomical Observatory, who observed the phenomena for three days, asserted the flying objects were "non celestial". A senior army official said, "Something is clearly wrong, if our combined scientific resources can't explain the phenomena."
In 2003, 14 Corps from the same region reported sightings of non-celestial objects but the report was rejected by the then army chief, General N C Vij, calling them hallucinations.
Though, there have been many reports of UFO sightings in India, in most cases this did not lead to further explorations. In 2004, an expedition led by Anil Kulkarni of the ISRO's Space Applications Centre in Ahmedabad, captured a robot-like object from the Lahaul-Spiti region of Himachal Pradesh. But this too has remained a mystery with no further explanations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People