Gold and Silver Suffer After Employment Report
By Eric McWhinnie | November 3, 2012 7:47 AM EST
Both precious metals suffered their biggest single-day trading loss in months, as the Labor Department announced better-than-expected job creation in October. According to the report, the U.S. economy added 171,000 new jobs, easily beating estimates of 125,000. The improvement spurred discussions of the Federal Reserve cutting back its unlimited QE program, which sent the U.S. dollar to its highest level in two months.
“The strength of this data has fueled dollar gains as it threatens to cut short QE3’s lifespan,” said Kathleen Brooks, research director at Forex.com, according to MarketWatch. The U.S dollar index hit as high as 80.61 in afternoon trading.
However, the unemployment rate ticked slightly higher to 7.9 percent, and still remains well above anything that would closely resemble a “recovery.” Furthermore, the year-over-year change in average hourly earnings increased only 1.1 percent, the lowest gain ever in the data series, according to Zero Hedge.
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) closed 2.09 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) fell 4.07 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) plunged 5.03 percent and 8.42 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver names such as Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) dropped more than 4 percent.
Investor Insight: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans