Gold and Silver Suffer After Employment Report
By Eric McWhinnie | November 3, 2012 7:47 AM EST
Both precious metals suffered their biggest single-day trading loss in months, as the Labor Department announced better-than-expected job creation in October. According to the report, the U.S. economy added 171,000 new jobs, easily beating estimates of 125,000. The improvement spurred discussions of the Federal Reserve cutting back its unlimited QE program, which sent the U.S. dollar to its highest level in two months.
“The strength of this data has fueled dollar gains as it threatens to cut short QE3’s lifespan,” said Kathleen Brooks, research director at Forex.com, according to MarketWatch. The U.S dollar index hit as high as 80.61 in afternoon trading.
However, the unemployment rate ticked slightly higher to 7.9 percent, and still remains well above anything that would closely resemble a “recovery.” Furthermore, the year-over-year change in average hourly earnings increased only 1.1 percent, the lowest gain ever in the data series, according to Zero Hedge.
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) closed 2.09 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) fell 4.07 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) plunged 5.03 percent and 8.42 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver names such as Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) dropped more than 4 percent.
Investor Insight: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier