Gold and Silver Suffer After Employment Report
By Eric McWhinnie | November 3, 2012 7:47 AM EST
Both precious metals suffered their biggest single-day trading loss in months, as the Labor Department announced better-than-expected job creation in October. According to the report, the U.S. economy added 171,000 new jobs, easily beating estimates of 125,000. The improvement spurred discussions of the Federal Reserve cutting back its unlimited QE program, which sent the U.S. dollar to its highest level in two months.
“The strength of this data has fueled dollar gains as it threatens to cut short QE3’s lifespan,” said Kathleen Brooks, research director at Forex.com, according to MarketWatch. The U.S dollar index hit as high as 80.61 in afternoon trading.
However, the unemployment rate ticked slightly higher to 7.9 percent, and still remains well above anything that would closely resemble a “recovery.” Furthermore, the year-over-year change in average hourly earnings increased only 1.1 percent, the lowest gain ever in the data series, according to Zero Hedge.
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) closed 2.09 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) fell 4.07 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) plunged 5.03 percent and 8.42 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver names such as Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) dropped more than 4 percent.
Investor Insight: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales