Amsterdam’s Ban on Tourists Using Cannabis Cafes Overturned by Mayor
By Ewan Palmer | November 3, 2012 2:48 AM EST
A law which would have banned tourists visiting Amsterdam from using the city's famous cannabis cafes has been scrapped.
The potential ban was overturned after months of debate by Amsterdam's mayor Eberhard van der Laan, who said imposing the ban would encourage cannabis smokers to seek marijuana on the streets, leading to an increase in crime.
The decision was made by van der Laan after the government of the Netherlands said it would be up to local authorities to decide if they want to impose the ban or not.
Van der Laan told the De Volkskrant newspaper: "The 1.5 million tourists will not say 'then no more marijuana', they will swarm all over the city looking for drugs. This would lead to more robberies, quarrels about fake drugs, and no control of the quality of drugs on the market - everything we have worked towards would be lost to misery,"
A widespread ban in the Netherlands was slated for January 2013, turning some 700 cafes across the country into members-only venues.
The move was intended to stem 'drug tourism' and prevent dealers from operating in the country.
Amsterdam is heavily reliant on its 220 cannabis cafes as a tourist attraction. Around a third of the city's total number of tourists are thought to be cannabis users.
Café owners argued the law was discriminatory and that around 90 percent of their income came form tourists.
While it is not strictly legal to use cannabis in the Netherlands, its use is tolerated and possession of small amounts was decriminalised in the 1970s.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- 'The Hunger Games Mockingjay – Part 1' Banned, Protesters Use Three-fingered Salute In Real Life
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Bendable Galaxy S6 Release in 2015 Possible as Samsung Reveals Plans
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports